Is there a way to control my emotions during presentations and discussions?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a new user introducing themselves to the forum and sharing a situation they encountered with their physics teacher. The teacher made a comment that was considered inappropriate and the user struggled with their reaction to it. They also mention feeling anxious when speaking in front of a group and ask for advice on how to control their emotions. Another user shares their own experience with public speaking and offers advice to practice and improve over time.
ode_to_joy
Hi everyone :)

I have been exploring this forum as a guest and just created my account

I just want to talk about a situation I encountered at school today.

My physics teacher is a quite nice guy and really tries to make our class fun. One day, we got into a discussion about appropriate language and politeness. Then he brought his anecdote.
"... especially more polite then asians. When I was in Hongkong, the students were like 'Hey Mr.X you smell like curry! whassup..."
I believed it was intended as a joke. All students laughed. Then I realized that this was really inappropriate to laugh. But I could not control my emotion and laughed a few more seconds while other guys just stopped laughing and got back to work.

Then I realized the teacher should have said "some Asians" or have not made that kind of racial reference. It was an overgeneralisation. I wasn't seriously offended. I don't know of the other asian girl in my class though. I should have issued about this to the teacher.

Also, I get really anxious when I present in front of my class, even when I ask some questions. I literally can hear my heart pumping faster. Is there any way to be cool and relaxed and controll my emotion?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, ode_to_joy!

Your teacher should have made reference to the culture and not a race, that's true. I think you're right in interpreting what he said by what his intentions were, and not on the exact words he used. And you know him well enough to know he wasn't trying to be mean.

It's normal to get a bit flustered when talking in front of people. The best way to control it is to practice it a lot. Yes, sometimes your emotions will get too strong and you may be embarrassed, but keep trying!

Do you get nervous when you speak in smaller groups of people?

Hi lisab

well, I do actually get little nervous in discussions and stumble a lot. I feel relaxed only when I am talking to my close friends.

ode_to_joy said:
Hi lisab

well, I do actually get little nervous in discussions and stumble a lot. I feel relaxed only when I am talking to my close friends.

That's alright! You'll find a lot of people on this forum have the same problems as you do. A lot of people really do not like to talk in front of a large audience or strange people. I don't really like strangers myself, in that I'm really shy and nervous when I first meet somebody.
The thing is that you need to practice a lot of discussions and presentations. It does get better over time. My first presentations were horrible, but now I can do fine. I'm still shy, but after a while you can control it better!

And welcome to PF, by the way!

for sharing your experience and question with us. I can say that there are various techniques and strategies that can help you control your emotions during presentations and discussions. One approach is to practice mindfulness, which involves being aware of your thoughts and emotions without judging or reacting to them. This can help you stay calm and focused in the moment. Additionally, deep breathing exercises and positive self-talk can also be effective in reducing anxiety and promoting a sense of control. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a therapist or counselor, who can provide personalized techniques and support to manage your emotions. Remember, it is normal to feel nervous or anxious in certain situations, but with practice and support, you can learn to control your emotions and feel more confident in presentations and discussions.

1. How do I stop myself from getting too angry?

One way to control anger is to take a deep breath and count to 10 before reacting. This can give you time to calm down and think more rationally.

2. What can I do to manage my anxiety?

There are many techniques you can use to manage anxiety, such as deep breathing, mindfulness exercises, and seeking support from a therapist or counselor.

3. How can I control my emotions in high-stress situations?

One method is to practice relaxation techniques, such as progressive muscle relaxation or guided imagery, to help you stay calm and focused during stressful situations.

4. Is it possible to control my emotions all the time?

It is not realistic to expect to have complete control over your emotions at all times. However, with practice and self-awareness, you can learn to manage and regulate your emotions more effectively.

5. Can exercise help me control my emotions?

Yes, regular exercise has been shown to improve mood and reduce stress and anxiety. It can also be a healthy outlet for releasing pent-up emotions.