Is there a way to tether mobile's wifi to laptop

• Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop Wifi
In summary: It may be feasible to share your phone's internet using bluetooth tether or as billy_joule indicated, using a usb cable with usb tether.You should, firstly, approach the IT technical support at your university about this issue, to see if they can help you set up a shared network or password.
Raghav Gupta
I've seen the vice-versa of it by using a hotspot but when use on mobile it asks for mobile data.
Why can't it only share the wifi?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:
I've seen the vice-versa of it by using a hotspot but when use on mobile it asks for mobile data.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Do you mean trying to connect your laptop to the internet through your cell phone? There are cellular devices that can be used for laptops. Some devices can support multiple devices. You would need to check with your cell phone provider about what they offer.

Raghav Gupta said:
You can tether the mobile to the laptop but you are right, it uses data which can go quickly.

Your mobile gets the data from the 3G or 4G mobile network, then shares it over WiFi.

Borek said:
Your mobile gets the data from the 3G or 4G mobile network, then shares it over WiFi.
But if we disable mobile data and we are getting net from a wireless router and we have to send this network to a laptop then?

Never heard about using mobile this way. Besides - what for? If you have the access through the router, why to add another layer of hardware? As a wireless repeater?

As I can connect only one device to the router at a time, that's why. Yes as a wireless repeater. PC's can be made wireless repeaters by using connectify app but for mobiles how?

Raghav Gupta said:
But if we disable mobile data and we are getting net from a wireless router and we have to send this network to a laptop then?
If you have a router with Internet then what do you need the mobile hotspot for? Are you trying to use it like a repeater?

Greg Bernhardt said:
If you have a router with Internet then what do you need the mobile hotspot for? Are you trying to use it like a repeater?
As I can connect only one device to the router at a time, that's why. Yes as a wireless repeater. PC's can be made wireless repeaters by using connectify app but for mobiles how?

Why is it your router can only handle one device at a time? What type of router do you have? (Perhaps you have configured it so that it can only 'dish out' one internal IP?)

In the university campus they have given us one login username and password to connect to wifi routers nearby. So at a time one device can only be connected by logging in. If I connect other by going in login page it says same username and different IP.
Also a weird thing happens, when I connect mobile to it. It automatically logs out after 15 min if I am active also but not in case laptop if I am active.

What phone do you use? I've heard of phones being a hot spot (i.e. a wireless router) when connected to a mobile broadband connection (eg. 2G/3G/4G).

My phone is capable of acting as a hot spot. I shall try later if I can create it to be one and then connect another device to it, whilst my phone is connected to our wireless router. I shall report back the results.

Made the hot spot while connected to the wireless router. Connected my tablet to my phone, but I was unable to share the connection my phone had.

Might be different on other phones.

StevieTNZ said:
Made the hot spot while connected to the wireless router. Connected my tablet to my phone, but I was unable to share the connection my phone had.

Might be different on other phones.

I had the same result.

I was however able to have internet access on both my phone and desktop via the phones wifi using a usb tether.

It may be feasibe to share your phone's internet using bluetooth tether or as billy_joule indicated, using a usb cable with usb tether.

Likes Raghav Gupta
billy_joule said:
I had the same result.

I was however able to have internet access on both my phone and desktop via the phones wifi using a usb tether.
Interesting, I shall try that later (as well as NascentOxygen's suggestion, using bluetooth).

My phone connected to our wireless router (mobile data was turned off), I allowed devices to connect to my phone via bluetooth. Successfully did that with my tablet (I had disabled my tablets ability to connect to the router), and was able to use the internet my phone was using also on my tablet.

Likes Raghav Gupta
Raghav Gupta said:
Also a weird thing happens, when I connect mobile to it. It automatically logs out after 15 min if I am active also but not in case laptop if I am active.
You should, firstly, approach the IT technical support at your university about this issue, to see if they can help.

Yes, the bluetooth tethering is working without using mobile data. I am typing now here in PF using that mode of tethering!
Thanks to all of you.
StevieTNZ said:
You should, firstly, approach the IT technical support at your university about this issue, to see if they can help.
Every student has having that problem, but then also it is kind of weird. I think it is for security reasons.
Would then also try to ask if possible later.

Glad you have it working. :)

Raghav Gupta said:
I think it is for security reasons.

It might also be for network capacity reasons, i.e. they want to limit the number of devices that use the network simultaneously by letting each student use only one device at any time.

Well, I suspect Raghav is using one device (the cellphone) but experiences a timeout within 15 mins despite 'being active'. Yet this does not occur on the laptop (and before this point there was no use of bluetooth from phone to laptop sharing the wireless signal).

StevieTNZ said:
Well, I suspect Raghav is using one device (the cellphone) but experiences a timeout within 15 mins despite 'being active'. Yet this does not occur on the laptop (and before this point there was no use of bluetooth from phone to laptop sharing the wireless signal).
Yes, it is true.

1. Can I use my phone's wifi to connect my laptop to the internet?

Yes, it is possible to tether your phone's wifi to your laptop and use it as an internet connection. This can be helpful when you do not have access to a stable wifi network or need to work on your laptop while on the go.

2. How can I tether my phone's wifi to my laptop?

Most smartphones have a built-in feature for tethering, which allows you to share your phone's internet connection with other devices. You can usually find this option in your phone's settings under "Mobile hotspot" or "Tethering and portable hotspot." Follow the instructions to set up the tethering and connect your laptop to your phone's wifi network.

3. Will tethering my phone's wifi drain my data plan?

Yes, tethering your phone's wifi to your laptop will use your data plan. It is important to keep an eye on your data usage and make sure you have enough data to cover the tethering. You may also want to consider connecting to a wifi network whenever possible to avoid using too much data.

4. Are there any limitations to tethering my phone's wifi to my laptop?

Some phone carriers may have restrictions or limitations on tethering, such as a limit on data usage or an extra fee for the service. It is important to check with your carrier before tethering to avoid any unexpected charges. Additionally, tethering may use more battery power on your phone, so it is recommended to keep your phone plugged in while tethering.

5. Can I tether my phone's wifi to multiple devices at once?

Yes, it is possible to tether your phone's wifi to multiple devices at once. However, this may affect the speed and stability of your internet connection. It is recommended to only tether to one device at a time for the best performance.