Is there alcohol in apple cider vinegar

In summary, there may be trace amounts of ethanol in Bragg's apple cider vinegar, but they are too low to have any physiological effects. Chemically, "alcohol" refers to more than just ethanol and is present in many natural products. While there have been documented cases of people getting drunk from yeast fermenting sugars in their stomachs, the amount of ethanol in vinegar is not enough to cause a buzz.
lesah
I have searched here and a number of places online but I can't find an answer.
Is there alcohol in Bragg's apple cider vinegar?

I always get a strange slightly calm feeling after drinking two or three tablespoons in a big glass of water.
But I can't imagine how there could be any alcohol in it without it all over the label.

Any help would be most appreciated. It can help a lot with anxiety (in addition tonallnthe medical treatments, not instead of). But ifnits alcohol I don't want that.
Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If it's not on the label, it's not in the beverage. You can be sure of that. The company would not be in business long if it was misleading to that degree.

However, my brother in law used to buy organic farm made apple cider in a jug and if often would ferment in the jug and give it a nice natural buzz.

Thanks Greg.
So does vinegar in general contain any alcohol? I definitely feel weird and a bit tingly when drinking it

Awesome. Thank you. Much appreciated.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
No doubt there are alcohols in the apple vinegar :wink:

1. When you ask about alcohol, you really mean ethanol. I am more than sure there are measurable quantities of ethanol present, but they are way too low to matter.

2. Chemically, "alcohol" doesn't mean just ethanol, plenty of other compounds containing the -OH group (which is what alcohols are). They are present in practically all natural products.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Borek said:
They are present in practically all natural products.

Fresh-baked bread, for example... Alcohols are a big part of that delicious "someone's been baking" smell.
We humans evolved the ability to metabolize alcohol because it is ubiquitous in our diet.

Likes Borek
Nugatory said:
Fresh-baked bread, for example... Alcohols are a big part of that delicious "someone's been baking" smell.
We humans evolved the ability to metabolize alcohol because it is ubiquitous in our diet.

There was a funny commentary in Nature a while back (20 years?) which noted that the amount of ethanol produced due to fermentation by the critters in the human gut was significant. The cheeky columnist was arguing that we should somehow alter the balance in our gut to lower our tolerance to ethanol, so that we could get tipsy on a smaller amount of additional ethanol.

Quantum Defect said:
There was a funny commentary in Nature a while back (20 years?) which noted that the amount of ethanol produced due to fermentation by the critters in the human gut was significant. The cheeky columnist was arguing that we should somehow alter the balance in our gut to lower our tolerance to ethanol, so that we could get tipsy on a smaller amount of additional ethanol.

There are documented cases in the medical literature of yeasts in the human stomach fermenting sugars into alcohol, getting people drunk off of things like bagles and bread:
The patient had an infection with http://www.epa.gov/biotech_rule/pubs/fra/fra002.htm, Cordell says. So when he ate or drank a bunch of starch — a bagel, pasta or even a soda — the yeast fermented the sugars into ethanol, and he would get drunk. Essentially, he was brewing beer in his own gut. Cordell and McCarthy reported the case of "auto-brewery syndrome" a few months ago in the International Journal of Clinical Medicine.
(source)

Likes Drakkith, Quantum Defect and Greg Bernhardt
Borek said:
No doubt there are alcohols in the apple vinegar :wink:

1. When you ask about alcohol, you really mean ethanol. I am more than sure there are measurable quantities of ethanol present, but they are way too low to matter.

2. Chemically, "alcohol" doesn't mean just ethanol, plenty of other compounds containing the -OH group (which is what alcohols are). They are present in practically all natural products.
How much ethanol are we talking? How much in say a half cup acv?

Can a person get any buzz from vinegar?
Thanks

lesah said:
How much ethanol are we talking? How much in say a half cup acv?

No idea about exact numbers, but we are talking about traces - way too low for any physiological effects (but high enough to be accurately measured by advanced analytical techniques).

Thanks for the help, everyone. Much appreciated!

There are trace amounts of ethanol and methanol in fresh fruits and unfertmented fruit juice.

Interesting! I never knew that.

1. What is the difference between apple cider vinegar and regular vinegar?

Apple cider vinegar is made from fermented apple juice, while regular vinegar is typically made from fermented grains or fruits. Apple cider vinegar also contains more nutrients and health benefits than regular vinegar.

2. Does apple cider vinegar contain alcohol?

Yes, apple cider vinegar does contain a small amount of alcohol, typically around 5% as a result of the fermentation process. However, this amount is significantly lower than that of alcoholic beverages.

3. Can consuming apple cider vinegar make you drunk?

No, consuming apple cider vinegar in small amounts will not make you drunk. The alcohol content is too low and the amount consumed is not enough to cause intoxication.

4. Is there a difference in alcohol content between raw and pasteurized apple cider vinegar?

Yes, raw apple cider vinegar may contain a slightly higher alcohol content compared to pasteurized apple cider vinegar. This is because pasteurization involves heating the vinegar, which can cause some of the alcohol to evaporate.

5. Are there any health risks associated with consuming the small amount of alcohol in apple cider vinegar?

No, the small amount of alcohol in apple cider vinegar is generally considered safe for consumption. However, if you have a sensitivity to alcohol or are pregnant, it is best to consult with a doctor before consuming apple cider vinegar.