Is There an iPhone App for Using Your Phone as a Light Sensor?

In summary, the conversation discussed the search for an iPhone application similar to the Android App "Physics Toolkit Light Sensor" for use as a light sensor. The app is needed for a project about Supernovae Type Ia and the goal is to create an interactive simulation using a light bulb. However, the developer of "Physics Toolbox Light Sensor" stated that iOS does not allow access to the light sensor values, so such an app does not exist in the App Store.
Lasse Voss
Hi!

I'm searching for an application for iPhone, similar to the Android App "Physics Toolkit Light Sensor", so I can use my iPhone as a light sensor.
Does anybody know if there's such an app in the App Store? I'm not able to find one.

Best regards
Lasse

Computer science news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
More like this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chrystianvieyra.android.physics.toolbox.light.sensor

It's for an project about Supernovae Type Ia. I'm going to create a simulation of the explosion with a light bulb. This simulation is going to be interactive so the audience can download the specific app, and get their own light curve with their light sensor app.

I am Chrystian Vieyra the developer of physics toolbox light sensor. Unfortunately iOS does not allow access to the light sensor values, so you are not going to find an app for that.

1. What is a light sensor app for iPhone?

A light sensor app for iPhone is a mobile application that utilizes the built-in light sensor on the iPhone to measure the intensity of light in the surrounding environment. It can provide real-time data and insights on the light levels in different settings.

2. How does a light sensor app work?

A light sensor app works by using the iPhone's light sensor, which is typically located near the front-facing camera. The sensor detects changes in light levels and converts them into electrical signals, which are then processed by the app to display the data in a user-friendly format.

3. What are the benefits of using a light sensor app?

Some potential benefits of using a light sensor app include the ability to monitor light levels for better sleep hygiene, optimize lighting for energy efficiency, and adjust screen brightness for optimal viewing. It can also be helpful for photographers to determine the best lighting for their shots.

4. Are there different types of light sensor apps?

Yes, there are different types of light sensor apps available for iPhone, each with their own unique features and capabilities. Some apps may focus more on providing data and analytics, while others may offer additional features such as light therapy or screen dimming.

5. Is a light sensor app accurate?

The accuracy of a light sensor app can vary depending on the quality of the app and the iPhone's light sensor itself. However, most light sensor apps are relatively accurate and can provide useful insights and data for everyday use. It is always important to calibrate the app and follow any instructions provided by the developer for the best accuracy.