Is this a Countable Union?

• Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Union
In summary, the conversation discusses the countability of any open subset of the real numbers, with the conclusion that it is a countable union of disjoint open intervals. It is then shown that this is true for the open interval (0,1), making it countable.
Bachelier
Question:
Given that any open subset E of the set of real numbers is a disjoint union of open intervals.
Is E a countable union of disj. opn intervls.

Answer:

Yes it is. to show this we need to find a Bijection from the set of natural numbers to E.

E = disjoint U_(i in N) of (a_j , b_j) with j in N and a_j , b_j in R

consider then g: N to E with f(n) = i

this is surely a bijection. Hence |E| = |N| hence E is countable.

?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The rationals are dense in R.

Bachelier said:
Question:
Given that any open subset E of the set of real numbers is a disjoint union of open intervals.
Is E a countable union of disj. opn intervls.

Answer:

Yes it is. to show this we need to find a Bijection from the set of natural numbers to E.

E = disjoint U_(i in N) of (a_j , b_j) with j in N and a_j , b_j in R

consider then g: N to E with f(n) = i

this is surely a bijection. Hence |E| = |N| hence E is countable.

?

thanks

Is (0,1) countable?

1. What is a Countable Union?

A Countable Union is a mathematical concept that refers to the combination of multiple sets into a single, larger set.

2. What makes a Union countable?

A Union is considered countable if the number of sets being combined is finite or if the sets being combined can be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, ...).

3. How is a Countable Union different from a Regular Union?

A Countable Union is a specific type of Union that has a finite or countably infinite number of sets being combined, while a Regular Union can have any number of sets being combined, including uncountably infinite sets.

4. Are all Unions countable?

No, not all Unions are countable. A Union can be uncountable if the sets being combined cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers.

5. What is the significance of Countable Unions in mathematics?

Countable Unions are important in mathematical analysis and set theory as they allow for the combination of multiple sets to create a larger set, which can then be used to prove various theorems and solve problems in different branches of mathematics.