Is this a good alternative definition of electron affinity?

In summary: It's not clear to me how the gaining of stability is related to the release of energy. In fact, the two concepts could be completely unrelated.It's not clear to me how the gaining of stability is related to the release of energy. In fact, the two concepts could be completely unrelated.
sneakycooky
TL;DR Summary
electron affinity (traditional definition): the amount of energy released by an element in its gas form when gaining an electron

second definition?: the stability gained by an element in its gas form when gaining an electron

Is this a correct definition?
traditional definition of electron affinity: the amount of energy released by an element in its gas form when gaining an electron

second definition?: the stability gained by an element in its gas form when gaining an electron (e.g. halogens are more stable after gaining an electron, and when gaining an electron, the system [i.e. electron + atom] loses energy, thus becoming more stable)

reasoning: losing energy is highly associated with gaining stability (I think they are two sides of the same thermodynamic concept)

Is this an acceptable alternative definition? From a distance it looks okay, but I am often wrong about such things.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm by no means an authority, however I wouldn't say the second definition is sufficient.

The electron affinity, ##E_{ea}##, is a numerical quantity - the energy released per mole on gaining an electron. As such, the definition must be precise.

Granted, the atom-electron system becomes more energetically stable after the first electron affinity. But this is more of a consequence, and not the definition of ##E_{ea}##.

As an aside, it might be worthwhile to make the distinction between ##E_{ea}## and the enthalpy change of electron capture ionisation. ##E_{ea}## is the energy released, whilst the enthalpy change is a change in the total energy. Assuming constant pressure and volume, ##\Delta H_{ea} = - E_{ea}##.

Likes sneakycooky
etotheipi said:
I'm by no means an authority, however I wouldn't say the second definition is sufficient.

The electron affinity, ##E_{ea}##, is a numerical quantity - the energy released per mole on gaining an electron. As such, the definition must be precise.

Granted, the atom-electron system becomes more energetically stable after the first electron affinity. But this is more of a consequence, and not the definition of ##E_{ea}##.

As an aside, it might be worthwhile to make the distinction between ##E_{ea}## and the enthalpy change of electron capture ionisation. ##E_{ea}## is the energy released, whilst the enthalpy change is a change in the total energy. Assuming constant pressure and volume, ##\Delta H_{ea} = - E_{ea}##.
Interesting. I think I agree with you; the trend of increasing the system's stability upon gaining an electron does exist, but it is much more difficult to measure; the more precise measurement makes for a better definition. I am glad that the trend actually exists, as it does help my understanding of the concept.
Thanks for your input!

First, to be pedantic, the electron affinity refers to an atom of the element. E.g. the electron affinity of chlorine relates to the reaction Cl(g) + e → Cl-(g). Talking of "an element in its gas form" might suggest the participation of Cl2(g).

Second, "stability" is a woolly concept, by no means equivalent to the negative of energy. You always have to ask: stability with respect to what?
For instance, the second electron affinity of oxygen is negative; that is, O2- is unstable relative to O- + e in the gas phase. Yet we can form many oxides, containing the O2- ion and not O-. This is because the extra energy put into create O2- is more than compensated for by the lattice energy of the ionic solid containing O2-, so the overall process is favourable.

• Informative
Likes jim mcnamara, sneakycooky and etotheipi

1. What is electron affinity?

Electron affinity is the measure of the energy released or absorbed when an atom or molecule gains an electron to form a negative ion.

2. How is electron affinity measured?

Electron affinity is measured in units of energy, typically in electron volts (eV) or kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). It can be experimentally determined by measuring the energy change during the addition of an electron to a neutral atom or molecule.

3. Why is electron affinity important?

Electron affinity is an important concept in chemistry as it helps to explain the reactivity and behavior of atoms and molecules. It also plays a role in determining the stability and properties of chemical compounds.

4. What are some factors that affect electron affinity?

The electron affinity of an atom or molecule can be influenced by several factors, including the atomic or molecular structure, the nuclear charge, and the electron configuration. Additionally, the presence of other atoms or molecules can also impact electron affinity.

5. Can electron affinity be negative?

Yes, electron affinity can be negative. A negative electron affinity indicates that energy is released when an electron is added to the atom or molecule, making it easier for the atom or molecule to gain an electron. This is often seen in highly reactive elements such as halogens.