Is this a good introduction Physics Book?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding valuable books that were thrown away, including Serwey Physics for Scientist and Engineers. The person is interested in using it to learn physics, but is unsure if it is a good starting point. Another user recommends Serway as a good calculus-based physics book for concept building, with a lower amount of problems compared to other textbooks.
TitoSmooth
Somebody threw a few books away and I found some Gems. From Tolstoy to Nahuatl philosophy and even a copy of Apostol!

The one that interested me the most was Serwey Physics for Scientist and Engineers. I have never read or took a physics a class. Is Serwey a good starting point to learn physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
TitoSmooth said:
Somebody threw a few books away and I found some Gems. From Tolstoy to Nahuatl philosophy and even a copy of Apostol!

The one that interested me the most was Serwey Physics for Scientist and Engineers. I have never read or took a physics a class. Is Serwey a good starting point to learn physics?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=666158

Serway is good calculus based physics book for concept building also it has low amount of problems compared to Sears university physics.
Just go with it!

Related to Is this a good introduction Physics Book?

1. What topics does this physics book cover?

This physics book covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, optics, and modern physics.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it starts with the fundamentals and gradually builds up to more advanced concepts.

3. Does this book include practical examples and exercises?

Yes, this book includes practical examples and exercises to help reinforce the concepts and improve problem-solving skills.

4. Are the explanations in this book easy to understand?

The explanations in this book are written in a clear and concise manner, making them easy to understand for readers of all levels.

5. Is this book recommended for self-study or is it better for classroom use?

This book can be used for both self-study and classroom use. It includes comprehensive explanations and exercises, making it suitable for independent learning, but can also be used as a textbook in a classroom setting.