Is this a Good Spring Schedule?

In summary, the conversation was about a student's schedule for the upcoming spring semester. They are a dual major in EE and Math and have chosen some challenging classes including Materials Engineering, Creative Writing, Basic Concepts of Math, Probability and Statistics, Probability and Statistics Lab, and Robotics. The student's advisor raised concerns about their preparedness for these classes, particularly Basic Concepts of Math, which has a prerequisite of Calculus II. The student clarified that the course is not a basic math class but rather an introduction to advanced math topics with a prerequisite of Calculus II.
sheldonrocks97
Gold Member
Hello everyone,
I am currently picking my classes for spring semester. This is currently my second semester at university and I am a dual major of EE and Math.

Here is my schedule:

MATE 202-01 4 Materials Engineering I w/ Lab (I need this for an engineering elective and this is what I chose)

ENGL 311-01 3 Creative Writing

MATH 352-01 3 Basic Concepts of Math

MATH 382-01 3 Probability and Statistics

MATH 382L-01 1 Probability and Statistics Lab

MENG 189-01 1 Robotics

Total: 15 Credit Hours

I know I have a couple of challenging classes so I was wondering if all of this is too much to handle. If you have any questions let me know and I will answer them.

Thanks!,

Austin

NOTE: This was an edit from a previous post with some changes with input from my advisor.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are at a point where you need Basic Math, it does not seem that you are properly prepared for Probability and Statistics, or for Robotics.

Dr.D said:
If you are at a point where you need Basic Math, it does not seem that you are properly prepared for Probability and Statistics, or for Robotics.
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "Basic Math" is not simple algebra or something like that. It's a junior level course, haha

Dr.D said:

"Basic Concepts of Math" is NOT a basic math course. It is essentially a class to introduce students to subjects like complex and real analysis and for other 400 level math classes. It has a prereq of calc II. However, I have taken Calc I-III and linear algebra and I am taking ODE's this semester.

rhino1000 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that "Basic Math" is not simple algebra or something like that. It's a junior level course, haha

100% correct. It is a 300 level course so it's not like a college algebra class lol.

I am unable to provide a definitive answer on whether this is a good spring schedule or not. However, I can offer some suggestions and considerations based on my expertise in the field.

Firstly, it is important to consider not only the credit hours but also the workload and difficulty level of each class. From a quick glance, it seems like you have a mix of engineering, math, and writing courses, which can be challenging but also provide a well-rounded education. However, it is important to carefully review the syllabus and course requirements for each class to get a better understanding of the workload and expectations.

Additionally, it may be helpful to speak with your academic advisor or professors to get their input on the schedule. They may have valuable insights and advice on how to balance your workload and succeed in each class.

Furthermore, it is important to prioritize your time and manage your schedule effectively. Make sure to set aside enough time for studying and completing assignments for each class.

Overall, it seems like you have a diverse and challenging schedule for the spring semester. With careful planning and time management, it is possible to succeed in all of your classes. Good luck!

1. What factors should be considered when determining if a spring schedule is "good"?

When evaluating a spring schedule, it is important to consider your academic goals, graduation requirements, and personal interests. You should also take into account the difficulty level of courses, the workload and time commitment, and any potential conflicts with other commitments or responsibilities.

2. How many credits should I take in the spring?

The number of credits you should take in the spring can vary depending on your individual workload and academic goals. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the appropriate number of credits for your specific situation.

3. Is it better to take all of my required courses in the spring or spread them out over multiple semesters?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and academic goals. Some students may prefer to take all of their required courses in one semester to focus on other electives or extracurricular activities, while others may prefer to spread them out over multiple semesters to balance their workload.

4. How can I ensure a good balance of classes in my spring schedule?

To ensure a good balance of classes, you can try to mix different subjects and course types (such as lectures, labs, and seminars) in your schedule. You can also schedule breaks in between classes and leave some free time for studying or extracurricular activities.

5. Should I consider taking online courses in the spring?

Taking online courses in the spring can be a good option for some students, as it allows for flexibility in scheduling and can be more convenient for those with other commitments. However, it is important to make sure the online course is reputable and will still fulfill your academic requirements.