Help please -- Regarding good use of time during days off from college

In summary: you pursue understanding of applied mathematics and less focus on proofs, you will likely benefit from it more.
Carolus_Rex
My country has been hard hit by second wave of covid, so bad that the colleges that were conducting classes online had to be paused for two weeks. So since i have time, i am thinking of using it properly.
I was wondering should i pursue how to proof in maths since i have linear algebra in my course and the book that we are using, Stephen Andrilli's Elementary linear algebra, has a little bit of proofing in it. So should i pursue the basics of proofing or should i study something else which is more related to my syllabus.
For background, I am currently an undergrad(first year) in physics. Currently in my second semester. My core for this semester are Electrodynamics and Waves&optics(Only wave optics).

P.S. i know it normally takes a while to get answers on the forum, so me posting an time urgent(atleast in my opinion) thread seems like foolish but i sure i will try.

P.P.S I could rush ahead in the syllabus, but the fact is that my entire second semester is most likely online again. So i normally find plenty of time to easily cover and stay a little ahead of the class.

Physics news on Phys.org
Being a physics major, you will likely benefit more with applied mathematics study and less with proofs.

You could investigate Vector Analysis as it combines the techniques Calculus and Linear Algebra together into a more powerful tool allowing one to understand Maxwell's EM theory.

As an example, vector curl is usually a mystery to students more so than vector divergence. Understanding them will go a long way in understanding the physics of Maxwell's equations.

https://betterexplained.com/articles/vector-calculus-understanding-circulation-and-curl/

Alternatively, you could look into Differential Equations since the four math pillars for physics are Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Statistics.

@PeterDonis or @Vanadium 50 could chime in here with better suggestions for physics. @fresh_42 could add better commentary on the value of proofs.

jedishrfu said:
Being a physics major, you will likely benefit more with applied mathematics study and less with proofs.

You could investigate Vector Analysis as it combines the techniques Calculus and Linear Algebra together into a more powerful tool allowing one to understand Maxwell's EM theory.

As an example, vector curl is usually a mystery to students more so than vector divergence. Understanding them will go a long way in understanding the physics of Maxwell's equations.

https://betterexplained.com/articles/vector-calculus-understanding-circulation-and-curl/

Alternatively, you could look into Differential Equations since the four math pillars for physics are Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Statistics.

@PeterDonis or @Vanadium 50 could chime in here with better suggestions for physics. @fresh_42 could add better commentary on the value of proofs.
Yeah it might be better for me to pursue better understanding of applied mathematics. however i find that when i tried to study vector calculus from my books. most of them gave a formulae based approach to the entire concept of divergence,curl etc. Can you recommend some book or lectures that goes into the depth of the reasoning behind these mathematical methods. the closest thing i found to an understanding of these mathematical methods were in my physics book, namely Electricity and magnetism By Edward Purcell.

P.S. I can easily borrow Mathematical Methods For Physics And Engineering by K.F. Riley from one my neighbors. I currently own mathematical physics by H.K Dass (a native writer), though i have found that his books are more focused on doing questions to pass the exam rather than teaching the subject.

P.P.S i also asked my prof. about this issue however i have yet to receive an answer.

There’s a book called Div Grad Curl and All That by Schey that gives an applied approach using EM theory as the applied field sandbox.

Likes hutchphd
Carolus_Rex said:
My country has been hard hit by second wave of covid, so bad that the colleges that were conducting classes online had to be paused for two weeks. So since i have time, i am thinking of using it properly.
I was wondering should i pursue how to proof in maths since i have linear algebra in my course and the book that we are using, Stephen Andrilli's Elementary linear algebra, has a little bit of proofing in it. So should i pursue the basics of proofing or should i study something else which is more related to my syllabus.
For background, I am currently an undergrad(first year) in physics. Currently in my second semester. My core for this semester are Electrodynamics and Waves&optics(Only wave optics).

P.S. i know it normally takes a while to get answers on the forum, so me posting an time urgent(atleast in my opinion) thread seems like foolish but i sure i will try.

P.P.S I could rush ahead in the syllabus, but the fact is that my entire second semester is most likely online again. So i normally find plenty of time to easily cover and stay a little ahead of the class.
You listed good options for yourself. If you are doing well in your courses, TRY STUDYING AHEAD. When the sections or topics are delivered to you in normal instruction, you will then be reviewing them.

Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
There’s a book called Div Grad Curl and All That by Schey that gives an applied approach using EM theory as the applied field sandbox.
I believe that Edward Purcell has used the similar approach in his book, i will try to download its pdf and check for myself. thanks for the suggestion

1. How can I make the most of my days off from college?

There are several ways to make the most of your days off from college. First, make a plan for how you want to spend your time. This can help you stay organized and motivated. Second, consider using your days off to catch up on any missed assignments or readings. Third, use this time to explore new hobbies or interests that you may not have time for during the school week. Finally, make sure to also schedule in some relaxation and self-care time to recharge for the upcoming week.

2. Should I use my days off to study or take a break?

It is important to strike a balance between studying and taking breaks on your days off from college. It is beneficial to use some of this time to catch up on any missed work or to get ahead on assignments. However, it is also important to take breaks and give your mind and body a rest. This can help prevent burnout and improve your overall productivity.

3. What are some productive activities I can do on my days off?

There are many productive activities you can do on your days off from college. Some ideas include volunteering, exercising, reading, learning a new skill or language, or working on personal projects. You can also use this time to network, attend career fairs or workshops, or apply for internships or jobs.

4. How can I avoid wasting my days off and being unproductive?

To avoid wasting your days off and being unproductive, try to create a schedule or to-do list for the day. This can help you stay on track and make the most of your time. Also, try to limit distractions such as social media or television and find a quiet and comfortable place to work. Remember to take breaks and reward yourself for completing tasks.

5. Is it okay to take a mental health day on my days off from college?

Yes, it is important to prioritize your mental health and well-being. If you feel overwhelmed or burnt out, it is okay to take a mental health day on your days off from college. Use this time to relax, recharge, and practice self-care. Just make sure to communicate with your professors and make up any missed work in a timely manner.