Is this magnetic wormhole really a wormhole?

In summary, the article says that a new article says a trio of experimenters have created the first artificial wormhole for magnetic fields. My reading of it sounds more like a metallic shield of a magnetic field. Is anyone else left with the feeling that the claims have been overstated, or am I just that ignorant of what they've really accomplished? I usually chalk something like this up to crackpots, or $$$ seekers, but this was published by the Nature people, who I always thought were legit.
FreeThinking
A new article http://www.nature.com/articles/srep12488 says a trio of experimenters have created the first artificial wormhole for magnetic fields. My reading of it sounds more like a metallic shield of a magnetic field. Is anyone else left with the feeling that the claims have been overstated, or am I just that ignorant of what they've really accomplished? I usually chalk something like this up to crackpots, or $$$ seekers, but this was published by the Nature people, who I always thought were legit.

Anyone care to educate me as to what I'm missing here?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
From a quick read of the abstract and introduction, this seems to be a purely Electro-magnetic phenomenon, and doesn't have anything to do with the gravitational wormholes that we usually mean when we use the word "wormhole". It sounds like what they are doing is taking a magnetic field, and then, by some complicated arrangement of materials of varying magnetic permeability properties, making a part of this field "disappear" (they use the word cloaked) in 3-D space. Thus there seems like there is a discontinuity between the source and the sample point where the magnetic field does not appear. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Likes FreeThinking
Thanks, Matterwave. That's what it seems to me too, but some words used make me think there may be more to it than that. The article mentioned some articles by Greenleaf et al, some of which I have downloaded and have taken a very brief look at. (Mostly it sent me to the inet looking up Neumann-Dirichlet mapping and the like. :-) What I found interesting was this:
-----
arXiv:0704.0914v1 [math.AP] 6 Apr 2007

Electromagnetic wormholes via handlebody constructions
Allan Greenleaf, Yaroslav Kurylev, Matti Lassas and Gunther Uhlmann

excerpt from the Abstract:

Here, we give related constructions of invisible tunnels, which allow electromagnetic waves to pass between possibly distant points, but with only the ends of the tunnels visible to electromagnetic imaging. Effectively, these change the topology of space with respect to solutions of Maxwell’s equations, corresponding to attaching a handlebody to R3. The resulting devices thus function as electromagnetic wormholes.
-----

That's way over my head, but the phrase that interested me was "change the topology of space". Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that kind of like what a mass is supposed to do to its neighboring spacetime? Or, is that just a change in the metric with the same topology?

I would think that, if this "wormhole" they've created really changed the topology of space (everything I've read indicate R3 rather than R4), that would be something really, really significant. But is that really what's happening, or is this just a really, really good mag shield? Or, is it just a mathematical convenience: they did say "with respect to solutions of Maxwell’s equations" and "corresponding to attaching a handlebody to R3".

Unfortunately, it's going to take me too long to learn all the background I need to read Greenleaf et al for me to understand this in any significant way. I was hoping someone here might have already traveled that road and could tell us if this is an actual, real change in space topology, or are they just being mathematically metaphorical?

Thanks,
Greg.

P.S. Stumbled on these, FWIW, while researching:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-metal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meissner_effect

(I know some people don't trust Wikipedia or its fundamental concept, but I usually start with it as a quick intro, then search for .edu sites with classroom materials from bonafide professors. I never stop with Wiki as my one and only source.)

FreeThinking said:
(I know some people don't trust Wikipedia or its fundamental concept, but I usually start with it as a quick intro, then search for .edu sites with classroom materials from bonafide professors. I never stop with Wiki as my one and only source.)
Just to let you know, Wikipedia is a great source (and is rarely wrong with these topics), but as you said, it's good to confirm facts. I know that this is off-topic, just don't listen to the blabber about Wikipedia not being reliable.

And no, I don't believe this is a real wormhole.

Likes FreeThinking
OK! Sometimes it just takes a lot of time to research. Here's what I found on a website linked from Allan Greenleaf's home page at
http://www.math.rochester.edu/people/faculty/allan/

At
http://www.rni.helsinki.fi/~mjl/invisibility_publications.html

"We emphasize that an artificial wormhole would work only for electromagnetic waves with a specified frequency. Moreover, the wormhole device is just an optical device similar to a lens; It would not be similar to space-time wormholes studied in general relativity."

So, looks like they just borrowed the word but aren't making the claims that it seemed on first glance. I'm still confused about the change in topology of the space, but I suspect that if I could dive into their books & papers, that too would become clear.

Anyway, if there's anyone here who's already made the dive, any insight you can provide will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg.

cloaking_transformation.jpg

cloaking_medium.jpg

meissner.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meissner_effect

The meissner effect repulses the magnetic field it is a function of the YBCO while the Metamaterial Traps still transmitting the signal making it "Disappear" then when the affect ends at the end of the tunnel it "Reappears"
coverfig3.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_index_metamaterials

There is your answer it does nothing to real space

Last edited:
FWIW: MTW p220-221, Box 8.5 "GEORG FRIEDRICH BERNHARD RIEMANN" excerpts: "...Riemann communicated to Betti his system of characterization of multiply-connected topologies (which opened the door to the view of electric charge as "lines of force trapped in the topology of space")..." and "A more detailed scrutiny of a surface might disclose that what we had considered an elementary piece in reality has tiny handles attached to it which change the connectivity character of the piece...".

I had mentioned earlier the phrase "change the topology of space" and I had also noticed (but I don't think I mentioned) that one of the papers mentioned "handles". So, I'm thinking that neither of these ideas are new to anyone but me. At least now I know that if I want to understand these ideas, I need to go back to the mid 1800's. Good to know I'm only a little more than a century & a half behind now.

1. How does a magnetic wormhole work?

A magnetic wormhole is a theoretical concept in which magnetic fields are manipulated to create a shortcut through space-time. This allows for the possibility of instantaneous travel between two distant points in the universe.

2. Can a magnetic wormhole be created in real life?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that a magnetic wormhole can be created in real life. While scientists have been able to create and manipulate magnetic fields, the technology and understanding to create a wormhole is still beyond our current capabilities.

3. What are the potential consequences of a magnetic wormhole?

The potential consequences of a magnetic wormhole are largely unknown and can only be speculated. Some theories suggest that it could lead to time travel, while others propose that it could cause disruptions in space-time or even destroy the fabric of the universe.

4. How do scientists study and research magnetic wormholes?

Since magnetic wormholes are purely theoretical, scientists study and research them through mathematical models and simulations. They also conduct experiments with magnetic fields to better understand their properties and potential for creating a wormhole.

5. Is there any evidence of the existence of a magnetic wormhole?

No, there is currently no evidence of the existence of a magnetic wormhole. However, scientists continue to explore this concept in hopes of one day being able to prove its existence and potential for use in space travel.