Is this Saturn photo real or an artist's rendition?

In summary: Yes but you could regard it as a way of presenting relevant information whilst reducing spurious effects. The same could be said of more or less any astronomical picture that's published. The blurred thing they started off with wouldn't appeal to anyone.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
My guess is that probably there is some sort of digital post processing of the photo but I might be wrong and it could be the raw image, I don't have big experience on astronomical photos.

Looks genuine to me!
It looks like it was taken from a space probe, not an Earth telescope.
It has well defined stripes and if you zoom in it's grainy, as you would expect.

Likes davenn
From your own link:
"The image was taken in visible light with the Cassini spacecraft wide-angle camera on Sept. 24, 2016."

Likes davenn
larry909 said:
It's hard to beleive, it looks so uniform and like it was drawn.

as the last two posters said ... it's real

Al_ said:
It looks like it was taken from a space probe, not an Earth telescope.

it does say that :wink:

Yea it just looks so unreal [emoji50]

larry909 said:

the universe is an amazing place with many wonders to behold :smile:

Likes rbelli1 and Delta2
larry909 said:
I believe it's pretty common to add 'sharpening' to such pictures. That could account for the apparent extra resolution. Excessive sharpening of very common on the images (ordinary photos) in newspapers and magazines, to make up for the limited resolution of cheaper printing. It's something that can be done on pictures before they are reduced to JPEG, which can give some horrible effects.

Likes larry909
Delta² said:
My guess is that probably there is some sort of digital post processing of the photo but I might be wrong and it could be the raw image, I don't have big experience on astronomical photos.

That's definitely not a raw image. It's almost certainly had various image processing techniques (like dark frame subtraction) applied and the contrast and brightness has been changed to make all the details visible. It may have even been made by a composition of multiple images. Space telescopes and probes operate in very adverse conditions, with cosmic rays and other particles frequently impacting the sensor. Using multiple images allows you to filter out the noise generated by these events without losing the details of the object.

Likes larry909 and Delta2
Drakkith said:
That's definitely not a raw image.
Yes but you could regard it as a way of presenting relevant information whilst reducing spurious effects. The same could be said of more or less any astronomical picture that's published. The blurred thing they started off with wouldn't appeal to anyone. Perhaps a health warning should be required for such images. They can be a source of deep disappointment for newbie astronomers who think that the pictures on the adverts for the scope they just bought were what they could expect to see with it.

Likes larry909 and Drakkith

1. Is this photo of Saturn taken by a telescope or a spacecraft?

It depends on the specific photo in question. Some photos of Saturn may be taken by telescopes on Earth, while others may be taken by spacecrafts like NASA's Cassini or Voyager missions.

2. How can I tell if a photo of Saturn is real or an artist's rendition?

One way to tell is to look for sources of the photo. If it is from a reputable space agency or organization, it is likely a real photo. Additionally, the level of detail and accuracy in the photo can also be indicators of its authenticity.

3. Can an artist's rendition of Saturn be realistic?

Yes, an artist's rendition can be based on real data and observations, but it is not a direct representation of what the planet looks like. It may include added elements or exaggerations for visual effect.

4. Are there any commonly used techniques to manipulate images of Saturn?

Yes, there are various methods used in image processing to enhance or manipulate photos of Saturn. These can include adjusting color, contrast, and sharpness, as well as combining multiple images to create a composite.

5. How can I verify the authenticity of a Saturn photo myself?

One way to verify the authenticity of a Saturn photo is to compare it with other images of the planet taken by different sources. You can also do some research on the source of the photo and their credibility in the scientific community. Additionally, consulting with experts or organizations in the field of astronomy or planetary science can also provide valuable insight.