Is This System Time Invariant?

In summary, the conversation is about determining if a given system is time invariant or not. The person asking the question initially believes it is time invariant, but their professor marked it wrong and gave them a run-around when asked to prove it. The conversation includes a summary of the definition of time invariance and a test to determine if the system is time invariant, which ultimately shows that it is not.
ttttrigg3r

Homework Statement

y(n)=x(4n+1). Is this system T.I or NOT T.I

The professor marked this question wrong for my homework. He says it's NOT time invariant. I proved it is time invariant.

Homework Equations

System is time invariant if a shift in time in input results in the same shift in time when the output is shifted.

The Attempt at a Solution

shift in the x:
y1=x(4(n-n0)+1)
y2=shift in y=y(n-n0)=x(4(n-n0)+1)

They are the same, therefore they system is time invariant.
The professor marked this problem wrong for me, and he gave me the run-around when I asked for him to prove it. Did I do this right?

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is time invariance?

Time invariance is a concept in physics that refers to the property of a system or process remaining unchanged over time. In other words, the behavior of the system or process is independent of the specific time at which it is observed.

2. How is time invariance different from time symmetry?

Time invariance and time symmetry are closely related concepts, but there is a subtle difference between them. Time invariance refers to the property of a system remaining unchanged over time, while time symmetry refers to the ability to reverse the direction of time without changing the behavior of the system.

3. How is time invariance proven?

Time invariance can be proven using mathematical methods, such as differential equations or group theory. These methods involve showing that the system or process remains unchanged when certain variables, such as time, are altered. This provides evidence that the system is time invariant.

4. What is an example of a time invariant system?

One example of a time invariant system is a pendulum. The behavior of a pendulum, such as its oscillations, remains unchanged regardless of when it is observed. This is because the underlying physical laws that govern the behavior of a pendulum do not change over time.

5. Why is time invariance important in physics?

Time invariance is important in physics because it allows us to make predictions and understand the behavior of systems over time. It also helps us to simplify complex systems and focus on the fundamental laws that govern their behavior. Additionally, time invariance is a fundamental principle of nature and has been supported by numerous experiments and observations.