Is Vb 0V in this Op-Amp circuit?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit and the potential at node b, with the individual seeking help proving that Vb=0. The conversation also covers using the properties of the ideal op-amp to analyze the circuit and determine the potential at other nodes. The conversation concludes by confirming that the potential at nodes f and c must be the same due to the negative feedback path in the op-amp circuit.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

upload_2017-1-23_19-19-16.png

I am wondering if in this circuit Vb will be 0V?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found all the other ones, but I am unsure if Vb will be 0 or not, and if it is then what is the logic behind it?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've found all the others then you must know the voltage at node c. That means you have everything you need to do nodal analysis for node b.

gneill said:
If you've found all the others then you must know the voltage at node c. That means you have everything you need to do nodal analysis for node b.
Not quite, I am given the answers for each node and asked to prove that they are right, all of my proof uses the fact that Vb=0, but I don't know how to prove that

Cocoleia said:
Not quite, I am given the answers for each node and asked to prove that they are right, all of my proof uses the fact that Vb=0, but I don't know how to prove that
Then you need to analyze the circuit, starting by using the properties of the ideal op-amp. Start by finding the potential at its + input (node f).

gneill said:
Then you need to analyze the circuit, starting by using the properties of the ideal op-amp. Start by finding the potential at its + input (node f).
I wrote all the equations for nodes b, c, d and f. Since we can see that Va=-5V and Ve=2v, from the drawing. I just end up with 3 eqns and 4 unknowns

Cocoleia said:
I wrote all the equations for nodes b, c, d and f. Since we can see that Va=-5V and Ve=2v, from the drawing. I just end up with 3 eqns and 4 unknowns
You'll have to show the details if you want help.

You should be able to determine the potential at node f by inspection.

gneill said:
You'll have to show the details if you want help.

You should be able to determine the potential at node f by inspection.
upload_2017-1-23_20-6-31.png

But here I take the assumption that Vb=0, I want to know if that is logical or if it would not be 0V

You know the potential at f, so using the properties of the op-amp what must be the potential at its "-" input?

gneill said:
You know the potential at f, so using the properties of the op-amp what must be the potential at its "-" input?
Ok so potential at f and c have to be the same ?

Cocoleia said:
Ok so potential at f and c have to be the same ?
Yes. So long as an op-amp circuit provides a negative feedback path, it must be so.

Likes Cocoleia

1. What is a node voltage with opamp?

Node voltage with opamp refers to the measurement of voltage at a specific point, or "node", in a circuit that includes an operational amplifier (opamp). This voltage is typically measured relative to a reference point, such as ground, and is important for analyzing the behavior of the circuit.

2. How is node voltage calculated in a circuit with an opamp?

To calculate node voltage in a circuit with an opamp, you can use Kirchhoff's laws and basic circuit analysis techniques. The input and output voltages of the opamp can be treated as virtual ground, simplifying the analysis. Once you have calculated the voltage at each node, you can use these values to determine the behavior of the circuit.

3. What is the significance of node voltage with opamp in circuit design?

Node voltage with opamp is crucial in circuit design as it allows for the analysis and understanding of the behavior of a circuit. By calculating and measuring the voltage at different nodes, engineers can determine the gain, stability, and other important characteristics of the circuit. This information is essential for designing circuits that perform their desired function accurately and reliably.

4. How does the opamp affect the node voltages in a circuit?

The opamp can have a significant impact on the node voltages in a circuit due to its high input impedance and low output impedance. This means that the opamp can alter the voltage at a node, depending on its configuration and the values of the resistors in the circuit. Understanding the behavior of the opamp is crucial in accurately calculating and predicting node voltages.

5. Can the opamp be used to control or regulate node voltages in a circuit?

Yes, the opamp can be used to control or regulate node voltages in a circuit through various feedback configurations. By adjusting the gain and feedback resistors, engineers can design circuits that maintain a specific node voltage, regardless of changes in the input voltage. This is a common application of opamps in voltage regulation and control circuits.