Is W a subspace of R^3

• Thread starter Robb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary: These are what you have to do to show that W is a subspace of R3. If either one or both of the above fail, W is not a subspace of R3.In summary, W is a subset of R^3 and is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication.
Robb
Moved from technical math section, so missing the HW templage
Determine whether or not W is a subspace of R^3, where W consists of all vectors (a, b, c) in R^3 such that (a) a = 3b; (b) a<=b<=c; (c) ab = 0.

a) Because vectors (a,b,c) can assume any value in W, W is a subset of R^3. Also, the zero vector belongs to W and W is closed under vector addition (a,b,c are elements of W, a+b+c belongs to W) and scalar multiplication (a,b,c belong to W, k belongs to K and k(a,b,c) belongs to W.

Please give input on my statement (a).

Physics news on Phys.org
Robb said:
W is closed under vector addition (a,b,c are elements of W, a+b+c belongs to W)
That is not what the vector addition axiom is about. a,b,c are components, not vectors. The vector addition axiom requires that, if (a,b,c) and (d,e,f) are both in W, then their sum, which is (a+d, b+e, c+f) is also in W.
Robb said:
a,b,c belong to W, k belongs to K and k(a,b,c) belongs to W
Are you sure? What if k is negative?

andrewkirk said:
That is not what the vector addition axiom is about. a,b,c are components, not vectors. The vector addition axiom requires that, if (a,b,c) and (d,e,f) are both in W, then their sum, which is (a+d, b+e, c+f) is also in W.
Are you sure? What if k is negative?

I guess I assumed "where W consists of all vectors (a,b,c)" is saying they are vectors. So, may I make assumptions with this problem as you did above with (a,b,c) and (c,d,e)? If so, what does that tell me about (a) a=3b?

Robb said:
I guess I assumed "where W consists of all vectors (a,b,c)" is saying they are vectors.
There is more to that sentence - "such that (a) a = 3b; (b) a<=b<=c; (c) ab = 0."

Take two arbitrary vectors in W. Add them. Is their sum also in W? I.e., does this sum satisfy the three conditions above.
Take an arbitrary vector in W and an arbitrary constant. Multiply them. Is this new vector also in W? Again, it has to satisfy the same three conditions.

These are what you have to do to show that W is a subspace of R3. If either one or both of the above fail, W is not a subspace of R3.

Mark44 said:
There is more to that sentence - "such that (a) a = 3b; (b) a<=b<=c; (c) ab = 0."

Take two arbitrary vectors in W. Add them. Is their sum also in W? I.e., does this sum satisfy the three conditions above.
Take an arbitrary vector in W and an arbitrary constant. Multiply them. Is this new vector also in W? Again, it has to satisfy the same three conditions.

These are what you have to do to show that W is a subspace of R3. If either one or both of the above fail, W is not a subspace of R3.
I thought these were three independent questions as the book gives three independent answers. I was looking at each individually.

Robb said:
I thought these were three independent questions as the book gives three independent answers. I was looking at each individually.
OK, I misunderstood what the question was.
For (a), W = {(a, b, c) | a = 3b}
Take two arbitrary vectors u and v in W. Add them. Is their sum u + v also in W?
Take an arbitrary vector u in W and a scalar k. Is ku in W?
Do the same for the other two parts of the question.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that has the same vector space operations as the original space. This means that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you determine if W is a subspace of R^3?

To determine if W is a subspace of R^3, we need to check if it satisfies the three conditions for being a subspace: it must contain the zero vector, be closed under vector addition, and be closed under scalar multiplication.

3. What is the zero vector and why is it important for a subspace?

The zero vector, denoted as 0, is a vector with all its components equal to 0. It is important for a subspace because it is the identity element for vector addition and is necessary for satisfying the closure property.

4. Can a subspace be a line or a plane?

Yes, a subspace can be a line or a plane. In fact, any subset of R^3 that satisfies the three conditions for being a subspace is considered a subspace, regardless of its dimension.

5. How can knowing if W is a subspace of R^3 be useful in real-world applications?

Determining if W is a subspace of R^3 can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. Subspaces can represent physical quantities, forces, and dimensions, and their properties can be used to solve equations and model real-world situations.