Is Y Contractible to a Point Proof for Homotopy Theory?

In summary, if Y is contractible to a point y0 and any map f from X to Y is homotopic to y0, then any two maps from X to Y are homotopic. This can be proven by using the homotopy ft(x)=F(f(x),t), where F is the homotopy of Y to y0. This shows that any map f is equivalent to the constant map to y0, and therefore any two maps f and g are equivalent.
CornMuffin

Homework Statement

Prove that if Y is contractible, then any two maps from X to Y are homotopic.

I feel like I have a very, very, very sloppy proof :(

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume Y is contractible to a point y0 held fixed, then there is a map F:Y x [0,1] -> Y such that
(i) F(y,0)=y0, for all y in Y
(ii) F(y,1)=y, for all y in Y
(iii) F(y0,t)=y0, for all t in [0,1]

Let F(y,t) be the homotopy of Y to a point y0
Claim: any map f:X -> Y is homotopic to y0 by the homotopy ft(x)=F(f(x),t)
Proof of Claim: Since f(x)=y in Y, ft=F(y,t), where y is in Y and t is in [0,1],
And since Y is contractible, f:X -> Y is homotopic to y0

Therefore, any two maps from X to Y are homotopic.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know much about homotopies but you reasoning seems ok, it seems pretty clear that any map f is homotopic to the constant to y0.

The only assumption I can see in there, maybe worth checking you can use, is that a homotopy of functions is an equivalence class, ie.
f ~ y0
g ~ y0
implies
f ~ g

Related to Is Y Contractible to a Point Proof for Homotopy Theory?

1. What is homotopy theory?

Homotopy theory is a branch of mathematics that studies continuous deformations of mathematical objects, such as curves, surfaces, or more abstract spaces. It is used to classify and understand topological spaces by studying their fundamental group and higher homotopy groups.

2. What is a proof in homotopy theory?

A proof in homotopy theory is a rigorous mathematical argument that demonstrates the validity of a theorem or proposition in the context of homotopy theory. It typically involves manipulating and analyzing topological spaces and their algebraic structures, such as groups and categories.

3. How is homotopy theory used in other fields of science?

Homotopy theory has applications in various fields of science, including physics, biology, and computer science. For example, it can be used to study the behavior of particles in physics, the shape of protein molecules in biology, and the efficiency of algorithms in computer science.

4. What are some important concepts in proof in homotopy theory?

Some important concepts in proof in homotopy theory include homotopy equivalences, homotopy groups, fibrations, and cofibrations. These concepts are used to study and classify topological spaces and to prove important theorems, such as the Hurewicz theorem and the Whitehead theorem.

5. What are some open problems in proof in homotopy theory?

There are many open problems in proof in homotopy theory, including the existence of a universal cover for CW complexes, the existence of a fiberwise homotopy equivalence for fibrations, and the generalization of homotopy theory to higher dimensions. These problems are actively being researched by mathematicians and have implications for other fields of science.