Iso-electric point of proteins?

In summary: I don't see any reasons why this should be the case either. The pI of a protein depends on only its primary sequence and secondary structure should have no effect on the pI. It is possible that your statement could be true, however.
philip041
I'm crystallizing apoferritin, and still don't understand what an iso-electric point is, despite reading a whole chapter of a book about it. What happens if the surrounding buffer solution is at the iso-electric point?

Cheers!

Biology news on Phys.org
The isoelectric point of a protein is the pH at which the protein has no net charge. At pH values lower than the isoelectric point, more basic side chains of amino acids become protonated to give the protein a net positive charge. Similarly, at pH values higher than the isoelectric point, more acidic side chains become deprotonated, giving the protein a net negative charge. It should be noted that the protein still contains charged side chains at its isoelectric point; however, at the isoelectric point, the number of positively-charged side chains is equal to the number of negatively-charged side chains.

The concept of isoelectric point is important when crystallizing proteins because proteins may have an easier time packing into a crystal lattice when there have no net charge (although this is not always the case).

The situation can be a bit more complicated in such large molecules as proteins, because it can have regions with sequences of differently charged aminoacids.

Heya,

I´m wondering if all protein rich in beta-structure have a low pI but proteins rich in alpha structure have high pI but can´t find any references regarding that. Any comments or references regarding this are highly appreciated.

Cheers, Una

I don't see any reasons why this should be the case. The pI of a protein depends on only its primary sequence and secondary structure should have no effect on the pI. It is possible that your statement could be true, however. For example, if the sequences favoring beta sheet formation tend to have more acidic residues that sequences that favor alpha helix formation, then your statement would be true. However, I have not heard of this rule before.

yeah that was what I was thinking I was just looking at a ladder used for IEF gels and the proteins with low pI were all rich in beta-strands and the ones with high pI all have a higher pI. I was just wondering if this was only a coincidence!

Thanks for your reply, Una

Related to Iso-electric point of proteins?

1. What is the isoelectric point of a protein?

The isoelectric point (pI) of a protein is the pH at which the protein has no net electrical charge. This means that the number of positive charges (from amino acid side chains) is equal to the number of negative charges (from carboxyl groups). At this pH, the protein will not migrate in an electric field.

2. How is the isoelectric point of a protein determined?

The isoelectric point can be determined experimentally by performing a process called isoelectric focusing. This involves separating proteins based on their pI using an electric field, and then measuring the pH at which the protein does not move.

3. What factors affect the isoelectric point of a protein?

The isoelectric point of a protein is affected by the type and number of amino acids present, as well as the surrounding environment. For example, changes in pH or the presence of certain ions can alter the charges on the protein and therefore its pI.

4. Why is the isoelectric point important for protein purification?

Knowing the isoelectric point of a protein is important for protein purification because it allows for the use of techniques such as isoelectric focusing to separate the protein from other molecules based on its pI. This can help to isolate and purify the protein in its native form.

5. Can the isoelectric point of a protein change?

Yes, the isoelectric point of a protein can change depending on the surrounding conditions. For example, a change in pH can cause a protein to gain or lose charges, altering its pI. Additionally, post-translational modifications can also affect the isoelectric point of a protein.