Isometries .... Garling, Example 11.5.2 .... ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Example
In summary, we are focused on Chapter 11 of D. J. H. Garling's book, which discusses metric spaces and normed spaces. In Example 11.5.2, we are given a mapping from the real vector space \mathbb{R}^2 to the complex vector space \mathbb{C}, and we need to show that it is a linear isometry. This involves proving linearity and preserving distances between vectors. The scalars in \mathbb{C} can be thought of as real numbers.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading D. J. H. Garling's book: "A Course in Mathematical Analysis: Volume II: Metric and Topological Spaces, Functions of a Vector Variable" ... ...

I am focused on Chapter 11: Metric Spaces and Normed Spaces ... ...

I need some help in order to understand Example 11.5.2 on a linear isometry ... ... I wish to prove the mapping given is a linear isometry ... but I am not sure I understand the context of the example/problem ...

The start of Section 11.5 defining isometries plus example 11.5.2 ... ... reads as follows:
View attachment 8978In Example 11.5.2 we are given \(\displaystyle f: \mathbb{R}^2 \to \mathbb{C}\) ... where \(\displaystyle f(x,y) = x + iy\) ...

I wish to show that \(\displaystyle f\) is a linear isometry ... but how do I proceed ...

Basically I am unsure how to go about considering \(\displaystyle \mathbb{C}\) as a real vector space ... how do we go about this ... ?

Is it just a matter of considering the scalars as real numbers?Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Garling - Example 11.5.2 & Start of Secton 11.5 on Isometries  .png
    Garling - Example 11.5.2 & Start of Secton 11.5 on Isometries .png
    26.2 KB · Views: 63
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the main trick here is that if you have a vector $z=x+iy\in\mathbb{C},$ you write its norm as $\|z\|=\sqrt{\bar{z}z},$ which is always a non-negative real number. You carry this over into the induced metric as well. Intuitively, the $\mathbb{R}^2$ vector $(x,y)$ corresponds to real part $x$ and imaginary part $y$ of a complex number.

Does that answer your question?

Hello Peter,

I haven't personally read that book, but I can try to help you with understanding Example 11.5.2. In this example, we are given a mapping f from the real vector space \mathbb{R}^2 to the complex vector space \mathbb{C}. The mapping is defined as f(x,y) = x + iy, where x and y are real numbers.

To show that f is a linear isometry, we need to prove two things: first, that f is a linear map (preserves vector addition and scalar multiplication), and second, that f preserves distances between vectors (is an isometry).

To prove linearity, you can use the properties of complex numbers to show that f satisfies the definition of a linear map. For example, f(u+v) = (u+v) + i(u+v) = (u + iy) + (v + iy) = f(u) + f(v), showing that f preserves vector addition. Similarly, you can show that f(ca) = c(a + iy) = cf(a), where c is a scalar and a is a vector, proving that f preserves scalar multiplication.

To show that f is an isometry, you can use the definition of distance in a complex vector space, which is given by ||u|| = \sqrt{u \cdot \bar{u}}, where u is a complex vector and \bar{u} is its complex conjugate. You can then show that ||f(u)|| = \sqrt{(x+iy) \cdot (x-iy)} = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} = ||u||, proving that f preserves distances between vectors.

As for considering \mathbb{C} as a real vector space, yes, you can think of the scalars as real numbers. This is because a complex number can be written as a sum of a real and imaginary part, and the real part can be thought of as the scalar in the vector space.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are isometries in mathematics?

Isometries are transformations in mathematics that preserve the distance between points. This means that after an isometry is applied, the distance between any two points on the object remains the same.

2. How are isometries used in geometry?

Isometries are used in geometry to study the properties of shapes and figures. They help in understanding the relationships between different geometric objects and can be used to prove theorems and solve problems.

3. What are the different types of isometries?

There are three main types of isometries: translations, rotations, and reflections. Translations move an object along a straight line without changing its orientation. Rotations involve rotating an object around a fixed point. Reflections involve flipping an object over a line or plane.

4. How are isometries applied in real life?

Isometries have many real-life applications, such as in architecture, engineering, and computer graphics. They are used to create symmetrical designs, construct buildings and bridges, and animate objects in video games and movies.

5. Can isometries be combined to create new transformations?

Yes, isometries can be combined to create new transformations. For example, a translation followed by a rotation is equivalent to a glide reflection. This allows for a wide range of transformations that can be used to study and manipulate geometric objects.