Isothermal Expansion of a Diatomic Gas

In this case, N represents the number of nitrogen molecules present in the gas sample. Therefore, you need to use the number of molecules in the formula, not the number of atoms.In summary, the question is asking for the final temperature of a nitrogen gas sample undergoing an isothermal expansion from 0.0500 m^3 to 0.150 m^3 with a final pressure of 110 kPa. To solve this, the formula PV=N*kB*T is used, where N is the number of molecules. After calculating N to be 1.29*10^25, the final temperature is found to be 92.7 K. This is not the correct answer, likely due to the fact that diatomic gases
MaryCate22

Homework Statement

A 0.300-kg sample of nitrogen gas (diatomic molecules,mN2 = 4.652 × 10^−26 kg) in a chamber fitted with a piston undergoes an isothermal expansion from 0.0500 m^3 to 0.150 m^3 .

If the final pressure is 110 kPa, what is the final temperature?

Homework Equations

PV=N*kB*T where Boltzmann's Constant is kB=1.38*10^-23 J/K

The Attempt at a Solution

Because the process is isothermal, PV = constant and Ti = Tf.
To use the formula, I need N (number of molecules).

0.300/[(4.652*10^-26)(0.5)]=1.29*10^25

Plugging this N into T=PV/NkB I get, T = 92.7 K, which is not the right answer.

I don't think diatomic gasses behave ideally, but I have no idea how to reflect that in the formula. I also do not know how the initial volume and pressures are relevant.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The question is what is the final temperature if the final pressure is 110 kPa. Sorry, I'll edit.

Just a thought, am I supposed to use the number of molecules or the number of atoms?

MaryCate22 said:
,mN2 = 4.652 × 10^−26 kg

MaryCate22 said:
0.300/[(4.652*10^-26)(0.5)]=

MaryCate22 said:
am I supposed to use the number of molecules or the number of atoms?

Well that clears it up. Thank you.

N is the number of particles which can be molecules, atoms, ions etc.

1. What is isothermal expansion of a diatomic gas?

Isothermal expansion is a process in which a gas expands while its temperature remains constant. In the case of a diatomic gas, this means that the distance between the two atoms in the molecule increases while the kinetic energy of the gas particles remains the same.

2. What factors affect isothermal expansion of a diatomic gas?

The three main factors that affect isothermal expansion of a diatomic gas are the initial pressure, the final pressure, and the number of moles of gas present. These factors determine the amount of work done and the resulting change in volume of the gas.

3. How is isothermal expansion different from adiabatic expansion?

Isothermal expansion and adiabatic expansion are both thermodynamic processes that involve the expansion of a gas. However, isothermal expansion occurs at a constant temperature, while adiabatic expansion occurs without the transfer of heat. This means that in isothermal expansion, the gas is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings, while in adiabatic expansion, there is no exchange of thermal energy.

4. What is the equation for calculating work done during isothermal expansion?

The equation for calculating work done during isothermal expansion is W = -nRTln(V2/V1), where W is work done, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, V1 is the initial volume, and V2 is the final volume. This equation is based on the ideal gas law, PV = nRT.

5. What are some real-life applications of isothermal expansion of a diatomic gas?

Isothermal expansion of a diatomic gas has various real-life applications, such as in the operation of heat engines, refrigeration systems, and gas-powered turbines. It is also used in the production of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and in the design of gas pipelines to ensure safe and efficient transportation of gases.