Issue about factory reset my iPhone

• Thread starter nvoucye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    iphone
In summary, the conversation discussed the issue of not being able to factory reset a jailbroken iPhone. The recommended solution was to use iTunes to perform the restore, as the phone's own restore feature may not work properly. It was also mentioned that the iPhone OS is a stripped down version of MacOS, similar to Android's use of a customized version of Linux. The conversation also touched on the topic of securely wiping data from an iPhone, with one person recommending the Safewipe iPhone data eraser. The conversation was then closed due to the phone being jailbroken.
nvoucye
I have a jailbroken iPhone 6 and will get it replaced with a new one. The problem is that i can't factory reset the device. Every time I tap the erase all content and settings on iPhone, the screen goes dark and flashing.

When I forced the phone rebooted, nothing was deleted. This is really weird.

Computer science news on Phys.org
There's two kinds of restores one via the phone which doesn't always work and the other via itunes. I'd go with the itunes one because beyond that there's no other way except to trash your phone and buy a new one or ask a tech geek to pull it apart and fix it via some internal connection to the OS.

The iphone OS is a stripped down version of MacOS which runs Apples mac-minis and Macbooks. The strategy is similar to Googles Android which uses a stripped down customized versions of Linux and the Java VM.

Likes nvoucye
jedishrfu said:
Try this procedure which uses itunes to do the restore:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ipho...-ipad-factory-settings.html/amp?client=safari
Agreed. The restore feature through the phone uses the existing OS image, which was likely damaged or corrupted by the jailbreaking process. The iTunes restore actually downloads a fresh copy of the latest OS image and overwrites everything on the phone. Good luck!

Likes nvoucye and jedishrfu
stoomart said:
Agreed. The restore feature through the phone uses the existing OS image, which was likely damaged or corrupted by the jailbreaking process. The iTunes restore actually downloads a fresh copy of the latest OS image and overwrites everything on the phone. Good luck!

The factory reset feature no longer works on jailbroken devices. I tested it on my iPod Touch 4.
Mendany said:
As far as I know, there are many article saying "factory reset won't wipe your data completely", it still remain on your iphone,I'm not sure and I also was very worried about my old iphone, I just sold it two days ago.

I googled it and found Safewipe iphone data eraser can help you erase data from iphone without recovery, i suggest you try it.

thanks, i will check it out soon.

P.S. How do you know the wipe is complete?

I don't think we should be discussing a phone that's been jailbroken, thread closed.

What is a factory reset?

A factory reset is the process of erasing all data, settings, and applications on an electronic device and restoring it to its original factory settings.

Will a factory reset delete all my data?

Yes, a factory reset will erase all data and settings on your iPhone. It is important to backup your data before performing a factory reset.

How do I factory reset my iPhone?

To factory reset your iPhone, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. You will be prompted to enter your passcode and then confirm the reset.

Will a factory reset remove the iOS software?

No, a factory reset will not remove the iOS software. It will only erase personal data and settings, and restore the device to its original factory settings.

What should I do before performing a factory reset?

Before performing a factory reset, it is important to backup your data and make sure you have all necessary login information for your accounts. It is also recommended to log out of all accounts and remove any SIM card or external storage devices.