Issue converting dV to dx dy dz

• Thread starter Addez123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx
In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of a vector field over a cut-off sphere. The speaker initially suggests using small discs with height dy to integrate, but then realizes there is not enough symmetry to do so. Instead, they propose shifting the y-coordinate and using spherical coordinates to write the integral. The conversation also mentions the use of the divergence theorem and the condition that y must be greater than or equal to 0.
Addez123
Homework Statement
Integrate the vector field
$$A = (2xy + x^2, 2 +yz, 2z^4)$$
over the sphere surface:
$$x^2+(y-1)^2+z^2 = 4$$
where y >= 0
Relevant Equations
Divergence theorem
I can calculate the divergence
$$div A = 2y + 2x + z + 8z^3$$
Now I have to integrate over this cut-off sphere.

So I decide I'll cut it up into small discs with height dy and integrate over that
$$dV = \pi(4 - (y-1)^2)^2 * dy$$

My issue here is I don't know how to integrate 2x + z + 8z^3.
Not only that but it's suppose to be a triple integral and all I get is dy..

I must have missed a step but idk which :/

Physics news on Phys.org
There's not sufficient symmetry to use discs as volume elements, because the vector field ##\mathbf{A}## varies within each disc. Exploit the symmetry. Shift ##y' \equiv y-1## and write the resulting integral in terms of spherical coordinates (with ##dV = r^2 \sin{\theta} dr d\theta d\phi##).

Addez123 said:
Homework Statement:: Integrate the vector field
$$A = (2xy + x^2, 2 +yz, 2z^4)$$
over the sphere surface:
$$x^2+(y-1)^2+z^2 = 4$$
where y >= 0
Relevant Equations:: Divergence theorem

So I decide I'll cut it up into small discs with height dy and integrate over that
dV=π(4−(y−1)2)2∗dy
This is not dV. It is dV integrated over the x and z coordinates assuming that the integrand does not depend on them. (Assuming you get rid of that additional square you inserted.)

However, there may be a way to get rid of that pesky x and z dependence if you think a few extra times before writing down the integral.

1. What is the relationship between dV and dx dy dz?

The relationship between dV and dx dy dz is that dV represents a small change in volume, while dx dy dz represents a small change in each of the three dimensions (length, width, and height). They are related by the formula dV = dx * dy * dz.

2. Why is it important to convert between dV and dx dy dz?

It is important to convert between dV and dx dy dz because they represent different units of measurement. dV is a unit of volume, while dx dy dz represents a unit of length cubed. In order to accurately calculate volume, these units must be converted to match.

3. How do you convert from dV to dx dy dz?

To convert from dV to dx dy dz, you can use the formula dx = dV / (dy * dz). This formula can be used for each of the three dimensions to convert from dV to dx, dy, and dz.

4. Can you provide an example of converting from dV to dx dy dz?

Yes, for example, if dV = 10 cm^3 and dy = 2 cm and dz = 5 cm, then using the formula dx = dV / (dy * dz), we can calculate that dx = 10 cm^3 / (2 cm * 5 cm) = 1 cm. This means that a change of 1 cm in each of the three dimensions (dx, dy, and dz) will result in a change of 10 cm^3 in volume.

5. Are there any common mistakes when converting from dV to dx dy dz?

One common mistake when converting from dV to dx dy dz is forgetting to include the units. It is important to keep track of the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation. Another mistake is using the wrong formula, such as using the formula for volume instead of the formula for length cubed. It is important to double check the formula being used to ensure accuracy.