Pourbaix diagram and current voltage curve

In summary, the conversation is about a chemistry project focusing on the effect of different metals' electrolytic nature on iron corrosion. The individual is unsure about using a Pourbaix diagram to determine corrosion and is seeking guidance on building and analyzing a current-voltage curve from their experiment. It is also mentioned that the Pourbaix diagram may not accurately reflect corrosion rates due to passivation of some metals.
Naima DV
TL;DR Summary
How to use and compare a Pourbaix diagram and the current-voltage curve
I have a chemistry project and my research question roughly translates to:
What is the effect of the different metals electrolytic nature on iron corrosion?
(In french: Quel est l’effet de la nature électrolytique de différents métaux (cuivre, aluminium, magnésium) sur la corrosion humide du fer? )

To answer, I think I have to use a Pourbaix diagram relating the two metals implicated in the redox process to know if one of them is going to be subjected to corrosion. I am not sure if it's possible or how to use it.

During my experiment, I'm measuring the electric electric current between the two metals. Can I build a current-voltage curve from this data? If yes, how can I analyze it?Thank you to anyone who can answer!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Pourbaix diagram refers to the stability (thermodynamics) but doesn't say anything about corrosion rate (kinetics).

Plus, some metals will not corrode (despite being in the corrosion region) because they get passivated by corrosion products.

1. What is a Pourbaix diagram?

A Pourbaix diagram is a graphical representation of the thermodynamic stability of a chemical species as a function of pH and potential. It is used to predict the predominant chemical species present in a solution under different conditions of pH and potential.

2. How is a Pourbaix diagram constructed?

A Pourbaix diagram is constructed by plotting the thermodynamic potentials of different chemical species against pH on a logarithmic scale. The lines on the diagram represent the equilibrium between two chemical species, and the regions between the lines represent the predominant species at a given pH and potential.

3. What is the significance of a Pourbaix diagram?

A Pourbaix diagram is significant because it allows scientists to predict the stability of different chemical species under different conditions. This is useful in understanding the behavior of materials in various environments and for designing corrosion-resistant materials.

4. What is a current voltage curve?

A current voltage curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the current and voltage in an electrochemical cell. It is obtained by measuring the current at different applied potentials and plotting it against the corresponding voltage values.

5. How is a current voltage curve related to a Pourbaix diagram?

A current voltage curve is related to a Pourbaix diagram in that it provides information about the behavior of a chemical species under different potentials. The current at a specific potential can be used to determine the predominant chemical species present, which can then be compared to the Pourbaix diagram to confirm its stability.