Jaden Harris' Velocity Ques. at Yahoo Answers

In summary, the conversation is about average velocity and instantaneous velocity and how to solve a specific problem involving these concepts. The conversation includes a question and a solution for finding the average velocity over a given interval, as well as a question and solution for finding the instantaneous velocity at a specific point. The correct answers for both parts of the question are provided in the conversation.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Average Velocity and instantaneous velocity?

I am having so much trouble with this question, and I have no idea why. I know that average velocity is based upon a secant and is basically a slope formula. Instantaneous velocity is based upon a tangent and is basically a point. However, this question is confusing me, maybe I'm staying up too late. Help?

When a ball is thrown vertically upward into the air with a velocity of 72 ft/sec its height, y(t), in feet after t seconds is given by y(t) = 72t - 16t^2. Find the average velocity of the ball over the interval from 4 to 4+h seconds, h does not = 0.
a) Avg. Vel.= -(57-16h) ft/sec
b)Avg. Vel.= -(57+h) ft/sec
c) Avg. Vel.= -(57+16h) ft/sec
d) Avg. Vel.= -(57-h) ft/sec
e) Avg. Vel.= -(56+16h) ft/sec
f) Avg. Vel.= -(56-16h) ft/sec

Then it proceeds to ask:
Find the instantaneous velocity of the ball after 4 seconds:
a) Instantaneous Vel. =-56 ft/sec
b) Instantaneous Vel. =-55 ft/sec
c) Instantaneous Vel. =-53 ft/sec
d) Instantaneous Vel. =-54 ft/sec
e) Instantaneous Vel. =-57 ft/sec

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Jaden Harris,

For the first part of the question, we need to compute the difference quotient:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta t}=\frac{y(4+h)-y(h)}{h}\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}\)

So, we find:

\(\displaystyle y(4+h)-y(h)=\left(72(4+h)-16(4+h)^2 \right)-\left(72(4)-16(4)^2 \right)=\)

\(\displaystyle 72(4)+72(h)-16\left(16+8h+h^2 \right)-72(4)+16(16)=72h-128h-16h^2=-8h(7+2h)\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta t}=\frac{-8h(7+2h)}{h}\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}=-8(7+2h)\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}=-(56+16h)\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}\)

Thus, e) is the correct answer.

For the second part of the question, we wish to evaluate the limit:

\(\displaystyle y'(4)\equiv\lim_{h\to0}-(56+16h)\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}=-56\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{s}}\)

Thus, a) is the correct answer.

1. What is "Jaden Harris' Velocity Ques. at Yahoo Answers"?

"Jaden Harris' Velocity Ques. at Yahoo Answers" is a question and answer forum created by Jaden Harris, a scientist who specializes in the study of velocity. It is hosted on the website Yahoo Answers and is open to anyone who has questions or insights related to velocity.

2. Who is Jaden Harris and why did they create this forum?

Jaden Harris is a scientist who has a particular interest in velocity. They created this forum as a way to share their knowledge and engage with others who are also interested in the topic. It is also a platform for Jaden to learn from others and continue to expand their understanding of velocity.

3. Can anyone participate in "Jaden Harris' Velocity Ques. at Yahoo Answers"?

Yes, anyone with a Yahoo account can participate in this forum. Users can ask questions, provide answers, and engage in discussions related to velocity. However, it is important to keep in mind that the forum is moderated, and any inappropriate or irrelevant content may be removed.

4. Are the answers provided by Jaden Harris in this forum scientifically accurate?

As a scientist, Jaden Harris strives to provide accurate and evidence-based answers in this forum. However, it is important to note that the answers provided are not meant to be a substitute for professional advice or research. It is always best to consult multiple sources and conduct further research for a comprehensive understanding of velocity.

5. Can I request a specific topic related to velocity to be discussed in this forum?

Yes, you can request a specific topic related to velocity to be discussed in this forum. Jaden Harris welcomes suggestions and is open to exploring new topics and ideas. You can either directly message Jaden or leave a comment on one of the discussions to request a new topic.