Solve Velocity Equation: -g(horizontal distance)/sin(2theta)

• I
  • Thread starter LT72884
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a velocity equation that was found while searching on Google. The equation involves the variables of gravity, horizontal distance, and angle. An example was given of a ball being thrown and the resulting velocity calculated using the equation. However, the equation seemed strange and did not align with the actual results observed. The main question posed was what equation this was. The conversation ends with a link to the Wikipedia page on projectile motion, which likely provides an explanation for the equation.
LT72884
So i was googling the mighty google for a general question on velocity and i happened upon this equation with no description of it. Only states it is a velocity equation

velocity=sqrt((-g)(horizontal distance)/sin(2theta))

sorry, symbols is not working on me laptop at the moment

Its been a LONG while since physics for me but i do not recal this equation.

an example was given of:
distance a ball was thrown = 290 feet
g= -32
angle ball was thrown was 26* ( i assume horizontal is 0* but sin 0 = o which can't have in denominator so something seems odd)

they end up with roughly 108.52 ft/sec

this eq seems strange to me. i threw a ball at roughly 8* and it took 1.002 seconds to go 15feet. if i plug that into me equation i get 42 feet/s

that doesn't sound right to me because after 1.002 seconds, the ball landed at 15 feet, so it can't be going 42 feet/sec then.

ANYWAY my MAIN QUESTION IS... WHAT EQUATION IS THIS HAHAHA

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the velocity equation for horizontal distance?

The velocity equation for horizontal distance is -g(horizontal distance)/sin(2theta), where g is the acceleration due to gravity and theta is the angle of launch.

How do I solve for velocity using this equation?

To solve for velocity, you can rearrange the equation to isolate the velocity variable. This can be done by multiplying both sides by sin(2theta) and then dividing by -g. The resulting equation will be v = -g(horizontal distance)/sin(2theta).

What is the significance of the angle of launch in this equation?

The angle of launch, theta, is a crucial factor in determining the velocity of an object. It affects the vertical and horizontal components of the object's motion and can greatly impact its trajectory and final velocity.

Can this equation be used for any object in motion?

No, this equation is specifically for objects in projectile motion, where the only force acting on the object is gravity. It does not take into account other external forces such as air resistance.

How accurate is this equation in real-world situations?

This equation is a simplified version of the equations of motion and does not account for factors such as air resistance, which can greatly affect the actual velocity of an object in motion. Therefore, it may not be entirely accurate in real-world situations, but it can still provide a good estimate.