Jones Vectors and Polarization

In summary, The polarization of a x-polarized light with wave number ##k_0## traveling in the z direction and entering a medium where a RHCP component and a LHCP component each accumulate a phase of ##n_Rk_0z## and ##n_Lk_0z## respectively is given by ##E_0\left(\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{in_{R}k_{0}z}+e^{in_{L}k_{0}z}\right)\hat{x}+\frac{i}{2}\left(e^{in_{L}k_{0}z}-e^{in_{R}k_{0}z}\right)\hat{y}\right)##.
Yoni V

Homework Statement

Linearly polarized light in the x direction with wave number ##k_0## travels in the z direction. It enters a medium such that a RHCP component of the wave and a LHCP component each accumulate a phase of ##n_Rk_0z## and ##n_Lk_0z## respectively, where z is the distance traveled inside the medium.
a. What is the polarization of the wave as a function of z?
b. For which values of z do we get a linear polarization in the y direction?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It's kind of a warm-up question and should be pretty easy, but I guess I'm missing something elementary...
I suppose I should write the wave in terms of ##\hat r## and ##\hat l##, apply the given transformation for each component, and then rewrite the answer in terms of ##\hat x, \hat y##. But I'm stuck on step 1, which is writing my initial x-polarized wave in terms of ## \hat r, \hat l##. Any advice, an analogous example or a more general treatment?

Thanks...

Edit: latex fixes...

Physics news on Phys.org
Yoni V said:
I suppose I should write the wave in terms of ##\hat{r} ## and ##\hat{l}##,
Yes that's right. Now it's a matter of finding the correct coefficients for ##\hat{r}## and ##\hat{l}##.
Do you know the Jones vectors for linearly and circularly polarized light?

Yes, the vectors are ##\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}(1,-i), \frac{1}{\sqrt 2}(1,i)## for circularly polarized light, and (a,b) for some linear polarization.
But I'm not sure how the initial linear input should be written.

I thought that if ## E_0 = E_{x0} \hat x ## then
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt 2}E_{x0} (exp(in_Rk_0z)+exp(in_Lk_0z))\hat x+\frac{i}{\sqrt 2}E_{x0} (exp(in_Lk_0z)-exp(in_Rk_0z))\hat y$$
but that doesn't seem right, given the fact that I'm left with an imaginary y component, and then for the second part of the question, I need the x component to be 0. But then I get ##z= \frac{2\pi m -\pi}{k_0(n_L-n_R)}##, which leaves the y component with imaginary amplitude.

We want to write ##E_0 \hat{x} = E_0 \left( c_l \hat{l} + c_r \hat{r} \right)##. Using the property
$$
\begin{aligned}
&\hat{l}^\dagger \hat{r} = 0 \\
&\hat{l}^\dagger \hat{l} = 1 \\
&\hat{r}^\dagger \hat{r} = 1 \\
\end{aligned}
$$
, how can you determine ##c_l## and ##c_r##?

Ok, we can solve for them by
$$
\begin{pmatrix}1\\
\end{pmatrix}=\frac{c_{l}}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}1\\
i
\end{pmatrix}+\frac{c_{r}}{\sqrt{2}}\begin{pmatrix}1\\
-i
\end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow c_{l}=c_{r}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}$$
and now
$$
\mathbf{E} = E_{0}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{in_{R}k_{0}z}\hat{r}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}e^{in_{L}k_{0}z}\hat{l}\right)
= E_{0}\left(\frac{1}{2}e^{in_{R}k_{0}z}\left(\hat{x}-i\hat{y}\right)+\frac{1}{2}e^{in_{L}k_{0}z}\left(\hat{x}+i\hat{y}\right)\right)
= E_{0}\left(\frac{1}{2}\left(e^{in_{R}k_{0}z}+e^{in_{L}k_{0}z}\right)\hat{x}+\frac{i}{2}\left(e^{in_{L}k_{0}z}-e^{in_{R}k_{0}z}\right)\hat{y}\right)
$$
which is different from what I had before only by a factor of ##1/\sqrt{2}##. The problem with y-polarization remains, hinting that this is still incorrect...

Yoni V said:
The problem with y-polarization remains, hinting that this is still incorrect...
The question only asks you to generate y-polarized output regardless of whatever phase delay it may have accumulated.

Ok, got it, it indeed doesn't matter- we can decompose the expression for the y component and take the real part.
One last thing, I didn't understand your discussion of the dot products. Is there anything wrong with how I calculated the coefficients?

Yoni V said:
Ok, got it, it indeed doesn't matter- we can decompose the expression for the y component and take the real part.
One last thing, I didn't understand your discussion of the dot products. Is there anything wrong with how I calculated the coefficients?
I don't know how you calculated the coefficients which lead to how it looks like in post #3, but the form you derived there bears violation of energy conservation. You can check that the form in post #2 carries different energy from the incident one, which is ##E_0^2##.

Related to Jones Vectors and Polarization

What is a Jones vector?

A Jones vector is a mathematical representation of the polarization state of a light wave. It is a two-dimensional vector that describes the amplitude and phase of the electric field in a specific direction.

How are Jones vectors used in optics?

Jones vectors are commonly used in the study of polarization in optics. They can be used to analyze the polarization of light as it passes through various optical components, such as polarizers and waveplates.

What is the difference between linear and circular polarization?

Linear polarization refers to light that oscillates in only one direction, while circular polarization refers to light that rotates in a circular pattern. This can be represented by different Jones vectors, with linear polarization having a real-valued vector and circular polarization having a complex-valued vector.

Can Jones vectors be used to describe unpolarized light?

No, Jones vectors are only applicable to describe polarized light. Unpolarized light is a combination of many different polarization states and cannot be described by a single Jones vector.

How are Jones vectors calculated?

Jones vectors are calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field vector and the unit vector in the direction of interest. The result is a complex number, with the real part representing the amplitude and the imaginary part representing the phase.