Joule Coefficient at Constant U

In summary: I was able to get to the solution now. Thanks again.In summary, the Joule Coefficient is given by the equation {\left(\partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}=-{T^2 \over C _v}{\partial \over \partial T} \left(P \over T \right)_V, which can be derived using basic thermodynamic relations and the Maxwell relation {\left( \partial S \over \partial V \right)_T}= {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V}. To continue, one must use the product rule to show that \left[ T {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V}-P \
JorgeMC59

Homework Statement

Using basic thermodynamic relations, show that the Joule Coefficient is given by:

Homework Equations

[tex] {\left(\partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}=-{T^2 \over C _v}{\partial \over \partial T} \left(P \over T \right)_V [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the cyclic thermodynamic relation:
[tex] {\left( \partial T \over \partial V \right)_U \left( \partial V \over \partial U \right)_T \left (\partial U \over \partial T \right)_V}=-1 [/tex]
Rearranging the equation:
[tex] {\left( \partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}={-\left( \partial U \over \partial V \right)_T \left( \partial T \over \partial U \right)_V} [/tex]
Knowing that: [itex] C_V= \left( \partial U \over \partial T \right)_V [/itex] → [itex] {1 \over C_V}= \left( \partial T \over \partial U \right)_V [/itex] I get:
[tex] {\left( \partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}={-{1 \over C_V} \left( \partial U \over \partial V \right)_T} [/tex]
And from there I don't know how to continue.
I hope someone here can help me, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
JorgeMC59 said:

Homework Statement

Using basic thermodynamic relations, show that the Joule Coefficient is given by:

Homework Equations

[tex] {\left(\partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}=-{T^2 \over C _v}{\partial \over \partial T} \left(P \over T \right)_V [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the cyclic thermodynamic relation:
[tex] {\left( \partial T \over \partial V \right)_U \left( \partial V \over \partial U \right)_T \left (\partial U \over \partial T \right)_V}=-1 [/tex]
Rearranging the equation:
[tex] {\left( \partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}={-\left( \partial U \over \partial V \right)_T \left( \partial T \over \partial U \right)_V} [/tex]
Knowing that: [itex] C_V= \left( \partial U \over \partial T \right)_V [/itex] → [itex] {1 \over C_V}= \left( \partial T \over \partial U \right)_V [/itex] I get:
[tex] {\left( \partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}={-{1 \over C_V} \left( \partial U \over \partial V \right)_T} [/tex]
And from there I don't know how to continue.
I hope someone here can help me, thanks in advance.
You need to get (∂U/∂V)T. Start out with

dU = TdS-PdV

so

[tex]dU=T\left(\left(\frac{∂S}{∂T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{∂S}{∂V}\right)_TdV\right)-PdV=C_vdT+\left(T\left(\frac{∂S}{∂V}\right)_T-P\right)dV[/tex]
So,
[tex]\left(\frac{∂U}{∂V}\right)_T=\left(T\left(\frac{∂S}{∂V}\right)_T-P\right)dV[/tex]

Now, you need to make use of an appropriate Maxwell relation to get the partial of S with respect to V at constant T.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
You need to get (∂U/∂V)T. Start out with

dU = TdS-PdV

so

[tex]dU=T\left(\left(\frac{∂S}{∂T}\right)_VdT+\left(\frac{∂S}{∂V}\right)_TdV\right)-PdV=C_vdT+\left(T\left(\frac{∂S}{∂V}\right)_T-P\right)dV[/tex]
So,
[tex]\left(\frac{∂U}{∂V}\right)_T=\left(T\left(\frac{∂S}{∂V}\right)_T-P\right)dV[/tex]

Now, you need to make use of an appropriate Maxwell relation to get the partial of S with respect to V at constant T.

Chet

Thanks for your answer Chet, I used [tex] {\left( \partial S \over \partial V \right)_T}= {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V} [/tex]

But now I'm stuck here: [itex] {\left(\partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}=-{1 \over C_V}{\left[ T {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V}-P \right]dV} [/itex]

I suppose that somehow [tex] {\left[ T {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V}-P \right]dV}={T^2{\partial \over \partial T}\left( P \over T \right)} [/tex] But I don't know how to get there.

JorgeMC59 said:
But now I'm stuck here: [itex] {\left(\partial T \over \partial V \right)_U}=-{1 \over C_V}{\left[ T {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V}-P \right]dV} [/itex]
Note that there is a typo in Chet's post, such that there is no ##dV## here.

JorgeMC59 said:
I suppose that somehow [tex] {\left[ T {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V}-P \right]dV}={T^2{\partial \over \partial T}\left( P \over T \right)} [/tex] But I don't know how to get there.
Correcting, you have to show that
[tex] \left[ T {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V}-P \right] = T^2{\partial \over \partial T}\left( P \over T \right)_V [/tex]
Just apply the product rule on the right-hand-side.

DrClaude said:
Note that there is a typo in Chet's post, such that there is no ##dV## here.

Correcting, you have to show that
[tex] \left[ T {\left( \partial P \over \partial T \right)_V}-P \right] = T^2{\partial \over \partial T}\left( P \over T \right)_V [/tex]
Just apply the product rule on the right-hand-side.
Thanks for spotting that typo Dr. C.

Chet

Thanks a lot, DrClaude and Chet your answers were of great help.

What is the Joule Coefficient at Constant U?

The Joule Coefficient at Constant U is a measure of the change in internal energy with respect to temperature at a constant volume. It is denoted by the symbol α and has units of J/K.

How is the Joule Coefficient at Constant U calculated?

The Joule Coefficient at Constant U can be calculated using the equation α = (1/U)(∂U/∂T)v, where U is the internal energy, T is the temperature, and v is the volume.

What is the significance of the Joule Coefficient at Constant U?

The Joule Coefficient at Constant U is an important parameter in thermodynamics as it relates changes in temperature to changes in internal energy. It is also used in the calculation of other thermodynamic properties such as heat capacity and thermal expansion.

How does the Joule Coefficient at Constant U differ from the Joule Coefficient at Constant P?

The Joule Coefficient at Constant U is measured at a constant volume, while the Joule Coefficient at Constant P is measured at a constant pressure. This means that the two coefficients have different values and represent different thermodynamic processes.

Can the Joule Coefficient at Constant U be negative?

Yes, the Joule Coefficient at Constant U can be negative. This indicates that the internal energy decreases as the temperature increases at a constant volume. However, this is not a common occurrence and is typically only seen in certain systems, such as gases at very high temperatures and low pressures.