Jupiter Red Spot Position and more

In summary, the conversation discusses the best coordinate system for studying the red spot on Jupiter, specifically in terms of latitude and longitude. The speaker suggests using an ellipse and determining the center as the crossing point between the lines of minimal and maximal diameter. They also mention the possibility of using data on the position, diameter, and color range of the spot over time.
Omega0
Hi,

I would be interested in the position and the "appearing" of Jupiters red spot over many decades.
Here the first question is: What would be the best coordinate system?
Jupiters axis of rotation is very stable. So the latitude would be very interesting in my eyes.
But: How do we define the central point for the "spot" which in reality is something like an elipse?
In my eyes the easiest way would be to think of an elipse and we define the center as the crossing point between the lines of minimal and maximal diameter.
What would be the best measure for the longitude?
I think this is really problematic. In one picture I saw a nice Karman vortex street sourrounding the spot.
This is another word for: The spot is not rotating around the planet with the speed of the rest of the atmosphere in this longitude.
So my question: Is there data about the position of the red spot over time and how it is defined? The same for the "diameter" and the color range?

Thanks,
Jens

Likes 1oldman2
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Likes 1oldman2

1. What is the Great Red Spot on Jupiter?

The Great Red Spot is a persistent anticyclonic storm on the surface of Jupiter, which has been observed for over 300 years. It is large enough to fit two or three Earths inside and has winds reaching speeds of up to 400 mph.

2. How long has the Great Red Spot been present on Jupiter?

The Great Red Spot has been continuously observed on Jupiter since its discovery in the 17th century. However, recent studies have shown that it may have changed in size and shape over time.

3. What causes the Great Red Spot on Jupiter?

The exact cause of the Great Red Spot is still unknown, but it is believed to be a combination of atmospheric processes, including the Coriolis effect and heat transfer from the interior of Jupiter. It is also thought to be sustained by smaller storms merging and feeding into it.

4. How does the position of the Great Red Spot change?

The Great Red Spot's position on Jupiter does change, but it is not as noticeable as its size and shape changes. Its position is affected by the jet streams in Jupiter's atmosphere and its interaction with other storms and atmospheric features.

5. Can the Great Red Spot on Jupiter ever disappear?

It is possible that the Great Red Spot could eventually dissipate or break up, but it is difficult to predict when this might happen. Some studies suggest that changes in Jupiter's atmosphere could cause the storm to weaken or disappear, while others propose that it could continue to exist for hundreds of years.