Kinematic and Projectile motion equations

In summary, the conversation is about finding the angle of projection that will result in the maximum height being equal to half of the range. The equations being used are SUVAT equations for kinematic and projectile motion. The formula for range is R = (vo^2sin2θ)/g and the formula for maximum height is (v0sinθ)^2 = 2aR. It is also mentioned that (vy)^2 = (uy)^2 - 2as.
McDonell

Homework Statement

Find the angle of the projection for which the maximum height is equal half of the range.

Homework Equations

Kinematic and Projectile motion equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use SUVAT equations.

I'm working on the same problem. Any help would be appreciated. I've gotten as far as finding R(range)= (Vo^2sin2Theta)/g but how do I find the formula for Max height?

LadyMario said:
I'm working on the same problem. Any help would be appreciated. I've gotten as far as finding R(range)= (Vo^2sin2Theta)/g but how do I find the formula for Max height?

[itex]R(range)= \frac{Vo^2 Sin2\Theta}{g}[/itex]

For maximum height
(v0Sinθ)2=2aR

How did you get that equation for max height?

LadyMario said:
How did you get that equation for max height?

(vy)2=(uy)2-2as

Thank you so much :)!

Related to Kinematic and Projectile motion equations

1. What is the difference between kinematic and projectile motion?

Kinematic motion is the study of the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. Projectile motion, on the other hand, involves the motion of objects under the influence of gravity, where the only force acting on the object is its initial velocity.

2. What are the basic equations used in kinematic and projectile motion?

The basic equations used in kinematic and projectile motion are the equations of motion:
- v = u + at (velocity = initial velocity + acceleration x time)
- s = ut + 1/2at^2 (displacement = initial velocity x time + 1/2 x acceleration x time squared)
- v^2 = u^2 + 2as (final velocity squared = initial velocity squared + 2 x acceleration x displacement)
- s = (u + v)t/2 (displacement = average velocity x time)

3. How are these equations derived?

These equations are derived from the basic principles of kinematics and the equations of motion. They are based on the concepts of displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time.

4. Can these equations be used for any type of motion?

Yes, these equations can be used for any type of motion as long as the motion is in a straight line and the acceleration is constant. This includes both linear and projectile motion.

5. How can these equations be applied in real-life situations?

These equations can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the distance traveled by a car or a ball, determining the speed of a moving object, or predicting the trajectory of a projectile. They are also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports to analyze and predict the motion of objects.