Kinematics Chasing Problem: Correct Answer and Explanation

In summary, there is a discrepancy between the given answer of 33.9 seconds and the calculated answer of 27.3 seconds for the time it takes for the second car to pass the first. The problem is ambiguous as it does not specify when t=0, but both answers could be correct depending on the interpretation. It is likely that the incorrect answer of 33.9 seconds was obtained by rounding and converting units, introducing a 3% error.
jerad908
Homework Statement
A car passes through an intersection travelling at 56 km/hr. A second car travelling at 70 km/h passes the same intersection 6.65 seconds later. How long will it be before the second car passes the first?
Relevant Equations
big 5 equations
I solved this and got 27.3 seconds so basically what I did was found the headtsart of the slower car (15.6 m/s times 6.65 seconds) but the answer given is 33.9 seconds and it uses the second (faster cars speed) to find the head start distance. Which answer is correct and why? Thanks so much

Physics news on Phys.org
jerad908 said:
Homework Statement:: A car passes through an intersection traveling at 56 km/hr. A second car traveling at 70 km/h passes the same intersection 6.65 seconds later. How long will it be before the second car passes the first?
Relevant Equations:: big 5 equations

I solved this and got 27.3 seconds so basically what I did was found the headtsart of the slower car (15.6 m/s times 6.65 seconds) but the answer given is 33.9 seconds and it uses the second (faster cars speed) to find the head start distance. Which answer is correct and why? Thanks so much
Is it a coincidence that your answer is 6.65 seconds less than the given answer? The problem asks how long will it be before the second car passes the first? OK, how long after which of the two cars passes through the intersection? Considering that the problem does not specify, I would say both answers are correct as long as you explain when t = 0 is.

I got 26.6 seconds (as measured from the second car going through the intersection).

Last edited:
Neither appear to correct. It is just a two equation algebra problem.
D1 = v1t
D2 = v2(t-6.65)
D1 = D2
So:
(56000/3600)t = (70000/3600)(t-6.65)
(14000/3600)t = 465500/3600
14t = 465.5
t = 465.5/14 = 33.25 s.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
t = 465.5/14 = 33.25 s.
That minus 6.65 is my 26.6s.

Sooooo... how did the OP and the book get their answers ?

Last edited:
Hmmm27: The question is ambiguous. It should ask "how long after the _____ car passes the intersection will the second car pass the first?" On your interpretation your answer is correct.

AM

My reading of it says ##t_0## is when the second car goes through, just from the way it's phrased.

I'm more interested in how both the book and the OP got consistent wrong answers :

26.6 / 33.25 sec (our answers, not too smugly correct)

vs.

27.3 / 33.9 sec (OP and source)

Last edited:
hmmm27 said:
My reading of it says ##t_0## is when the second car goes through, just from the way it's phrased.

I'm more interested in how both the book and the OP got consistent wrong answers :

26.6 / 33.25 sec (our answers, not too smugly correct)

vs.

27.3 / 33.9 sec (OP and book)
By unnecessarily converting to m/s and rounding 15.55... to 15.6, thereby introducing a 3% error.

Likes hmmm27
haruspex said:
By unnecessarily converting to m/s and rounding 15.55... to 15.6, thereby introducing a 3% error.
Quite the difference ; admittedly, dividing by 14km/h as a single step seemed suspiciously convenient. (at a guess, the OP's version was a reprint from an old book that didn't give the answers in the back)

1. What is the "Kinematics chasing problem"?

The "Kinematics chasing problem" is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of two objects, one chasing the other. It is also known as the pursuit problem or the pursuit curve problem.

2. What are the key variables involved in the Kinematics chasing problem?

The key variables involved in the Kinematics chasing problem are the initial positions and velocities of both objects, the acceleration of the chasing object, and the distance between the two objects.

3. How is the Kinematics chasing problem solved?

The Kinematics chasing problem is solved using mathematical equations and principles from kinematics, such as the equations of motion and the concept of relative motion. These equations can be used to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of both objects at any given time.

4. What are some real-life applications of the Kinematics chasing problem?

The Kinematics chasing problem has many real-life applications, such as predicting the motion of predator and prey in nature, analyzing the movements of vehicles in a car chase, and designing pursuit strategies for military operations.

5. What are some challenges in solving the Kinematics chasing problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the Kinematics chasing problem is the assumption that both objects move in a straight line with constant acceleration, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios. Another challenge is determining the initial conditions accurately, as small errors can lead to significant differences in the predicted motion of the objects.