Kinematics Homework Question- Deriving an expression

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving kinematics and the use of equations of motion formulas. The person is struggling with how to approach the problem and is asking for help with finding a starting point. They also mention using the equation of trajectory for horizontal projectile and suggest using kinematic equations for position as a function of acceleration and initial velocity.
mackenziesmith
Homework Statement
KINEMATICS HOMEWORK HELP
Relevant Equations
5 Equations of Motion Formulas
I have been attempting this physics problem for a while now. I am not sure how to begin to attempt this problem with the equations of motion formulas.
image1.jpeg

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
mackenziesmith said:
Homework Statement: KINEMATICS HOMEWORK HELP
Homework Equations: 5 Equations of Motion Formulas

I have been attempting this physics problem for a while now. I am not sure how to begin to attempt this problem with the equations of motion formulas.
View attachment 249676
Per forum rules, please post some attempt.

Likes mackenziesmith
haruspex said:
Per forum rules, please post some attempt.
I am not sure how to approach this problem with the given formulas. If anyone is able to help with a starting point, I would really appreciate it! :)

mackenziesmith said:
I am not sure how to approach this problem with the given formulas. If anyone is able to help with a starting point, I would really appreciate it! :)
Write equations for the coordinates of the ball as a function of time.

mackenziesmith said:
Homework Statement: KINEMATICS HOMEWORK HELP
Homework Equations: 5 Equations of Motion Formulas

View attachment 249676
Use equation of trajectory for horizontal projectile

Start with kinematic equations for position as a function of acceleration and initial velocity. Since the problem does not specify a time of flight, you must solve these equations to be time-independent. Essentially, just find an equation for ##t## and plug it into the other equation and solve for the initial horizontal velocity.

Likes Delta2
Δv(x)=Δv(y)=2v(x)

Related to Kinematics Homework Question- Deriving an expression

1. How do I derive an expression for kinematics homework?

To derive an expression for kinematics homework, you will need to use the basic equations of motion, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. Start by identifying the given variables and equations, then use algebraic manipulation to rearrange the equations and solve for the unknown variable.

2. What are the key steps to deriving an expression for kinematics homework?

The key steps to deriving an expression for kinematics homework include: identifying the given variables and equations, rearranging the equations to solve for the unknown variable, and checking your answer for accuracy and units. It is also important to clearly define and label your variables to avoid confusion.

3. How do I know which equation to use when deriving an expression for kinematics homework?

You can determine which equation to use by examining the given variables and what you are trying to solve for. For example, if you are given initial and final velocities and acceleration, you would use the equation vf = vi + at. If you are solving for displacement, you would use the equation d = vit + 1/2at^2.

4. Can I use more than one equation when deriving an expression for kinematics homework?

Yes, it is common to use multiple equations when deriving an expression for kinematics homework. This allows you to solve for multiple unknown variables or to double check your answer by using a different equation.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when deriving an expression for kinematics homework?

Some common mistakes to avoid when deriving an expression for kinematics homework include using the wrong equation, not properly labeling your variables, and making algebraic errors. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout your calculations.