Kinematics of movement subject to a variable acceleration

In summary, someone can guide someone how can they find time by using a search engine like Google. This is a common approach to solving a problem involving acceleration that changes with position.
MatinSAR
Homework Statement
Can someone help me to find How long does it take for a moving object to travel a distance d with an acceleration varying with position?
Relevant Equations
a=GM/r^2
G and M are constant and this acceleration is due to the force of gravity between two bodies.
Can someone guide me how can I find time ?!
I don't have any idea. This is a part of a question in Classical Dynamics.

Physics news on Phys.org
MatinSAR said:
I don't have any idea.
There is a well-known search program called Google.

[edit] inadvertently inserted the wrong 'link'. This was what I intended: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-body_problem

Inspired by the ##GM\over r^2## (## \vec a = -{GM\over r^3}\,\vec r## ## ! )

also see Kepler orbit

##\ ##

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes topsquark, jack action and berkeman
Are you familiar with how to derive the velocity and position using integrals to accommodate the varying acceleration?

Likes topsquark and MatinSAR
BvU said:
There is a well-known search program called Google.
Thank you ...
I have searched but I didn't find anything.
All I have founded was related to acceleration that changes with time.
This type(acceleration that changes with time) is easy but this problem has acceleration that changes with position.

berkeman said:
Are you familiar with how to derive the velocity and position using integrals to accommodate the varying acceleration?
Yes.
a=dv/dt ... v=int(adt)
but this question is different. The acceleration changes tith position.

MatinSAR said:
Thank you ...
This type(acceleration that changes with time) is easy but this problem has acceleration that changes with position.
It is possible to find the solution to this online, but in the spirit of the HH forum here what have you tried so far? How much of this can you do yourself? Can you use a conservation law?

Likes topsquark
PeroK said:
It is possible to find the solution to this online, but in the spirit of the HH forum here what have you tried so far? How much of this can you do yourself? Can you use a conservation law?
Can you share a link ?! I didn't find any thing related.
and It's not a question. This is a part of a question in Classical Dynamics which I am trying to solve and I don't know how can I find time.

We can use conservation law.

I get that, but there are homework helping rules here.

Likes topsquark
MatinSAR said:
Thank you ...
I literally used your words in DDG and got this as a first result:

Link Removed

With the same words in Google, this was the second result (but the results may be different for someone else):

• Wow
Likes berkeman, MatinSAR and PeroK
PeroK said:
I get that, but there are homework helping rules here.
I didn't ask anyone to solve my problem. I didn't even send the main problem which was about gravitational force !
I have asked how can I find time when acceleration changes with position and it's not a homework.
Thank you for your time anyway.

jack action said:
I literally used your words in DDG and got this as a first result:
I have forgotten about other search engines !
Thank you I will read them.

MatinSAR said:
how can I find time when acceleration changes with position

Given acceleration as a function of displacement, the usual approach is to eliminate time:
##\dot v= f(x)=v\frac{dv}{dx}##
##\int f(x).dx=\int v.dv=\frac 12v^2##
This is just the energy conservation equation with mass cancelled.
This leads to ##v=\frac {dx}{dt}=g(x)##
##t=\int\frac{dx}{g(x)}##

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
I have asked how can I find time when acceleration changes with position
When I am attacking a problem that involves acceleration changing with position, I like to think instead about a fixed mass under a force that changes with position. Now the familiar concepts of work and energy come into play. The change in kinetic energy of the mass will be the integral of force over distance.

This does not get you all the way to a result. But with kinetic energy as a function of distance and a known mass, one can obtain velocity as a function of distance. Or invert velocity and get incremental elapsed time as a function of incremental traversed distance.

Which is what @haruspex just finished saying, but without the algebra.

Likes MatinSAR
MatinSAR said:
and It's not a question. This is a part of a question in Classical Dynamics which I am trying to solve and I don't know how can I find time.
MatinSAR said:
I didn't ask anyone to solve my problem. I didn't even send the main problem which was about gravitational force !
I have asked how can I find time when acceleration changes with position and it's not a homework.
Please calm down. We treat all schoolwork-type questions the same here at PF; we are treating your question the same.

More info: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-coursework-questions.373889/

Likes MatinSAR and PhDeezNutz

1. What is kinematics of movement subject to a variable acceleration?

Kinematics of movement subject to a variable acceleration is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects under the influence of changing acceleration. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of an object?

The acceleration of an object is affected by factors such as the force acting on the object, the mass of the object, and any external influences such as friction or air resistance.

3. How is acceleration calculated in kinematics?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the equation a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

4. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific time period, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the total change in velocity by the total change in time, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated by taking the derivative of velocity with respect to time.

5. How does kinematics of movement subject to a variable acceleration apply to real-world situations?

Kinematics of movement subject to a variable acceleration is used in many real-world situations, such as analyzing the motion of objects in sports, vehicles, and space travel. It is also used in engineering and design to optimize the movement of machines and structures.