Kinetic Energy Equations in MS Excel

In summary, the conversation is about someone having trouble with using Microsoft Excel formulas to calculate kinetic energy for a chart. They are seeking guidance on which formulas to use and have not had success with the ones they have tried. The person providing assistance suggests checking the given spreadsheet for the equations used and also mentions using the equation for kinetic energy of a mass moving at a certain velocity.
Makali

Homework Statement

I am having trouble with Microsoft Excel formulas to obtain the correct data for Kinetic Energy 2 initial, KE1 final, KE2f, KEi, KEf, total KE and total KE%

Homework Equations

Microsoft office uses equations such as =(A2+B2) and I need to determine what is the appropriate formulas to use to complete the chart.

The Attempt at a Solution

Any formulas that I have tried were not successful. If I could have guidance on what formulas to use it would help a lot.

Attachments

• Physics Table.png
    Physics Table.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 879
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

What is this about ? Do we have to guess ?

Microsoft office does not 'use' anything. YOU type in formulas based on the relevant equations you list under 2.
'no joy ' does not count as an attempt in PF

Likes berkeman
The file you attached is not in Excel format.
Were you given the actual spreadsheet., if so you can check the result cells for
the formulas used.
As an example in cell H1 there must be a formula such as: =B1*D1

Makali said:

Homework Equations

Microsoft office uses equations such as =(A2+B2) and I need to determine what is the appropriate formulas to use to complete the chart.

Columns L to O are for the kinetic energy of mass 1 and 2 before the collision (eg I=initially) and after (f=finally). Column L (the KE of mass 1 initially) has already been completed. I wonder what equation they used to complete that column :-)

Failing that look in your textbook for the equation for the kinetic energy of a mass m moving at velocity v.

1. What is Kinetic Energy and how is it calculated?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its velocity, and then dividing by two. The equation for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2.

2. How can I use MS Excel to calculate Kinetic Energy?

MS Excel can be used to calculate kinetic energy by utilizing the formula function and inputting the appropriate values for mass and velocity. The formula would look like =1/2 * mass * velocity^2.

3. Can I use cell references in the Kinetic Energy equation in MS Excel?

Yes, cell references can be used in the Kinetic Energy equation in MS Excel. This allows for easy manipulation of values and calculations without having to manually input each value into the formula.

4. Is there a way to graph Kinetic Energy over time in MS Excel?

Yes, MS Excel has a built-in graphing feature that can be used to plot kinetic energy over time. Simply input the values for time, mass, and velocity into a table and use the graphing function to plot the data.

5. Are there any limitations to using MS Excel for Kinetic Energy calculations?

MS Excel is a powerful tool for calculating Kinetic Energy, but it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for very complex calculations or for large data sets. It is important to double check all equations and data inputs to ensure accuracy.