Kinetic Energy in an Explosion

In summary, when an object of mass M splits into two pieces, one with mass M1, the mass of the other piece is M-M1. To find the kinetic energy of the bigger piece in terms of the kinetic energy of the smaller piece, you can use the mass ratio M1/(M-M1) and multiply it by the kinetic energy of the smaller piece, K1. This will give you the fraction of kinetic energy that the bigger piece has. To put this into equation form, you first need to conserve momentum and then use the momentum and mass of the bigger piece to calculate its velocity and kinetic energy.
Victorzaroni

Homework Statement

An explosive of mass M is initially at rest. It then explodes into two pieces and travels along a straight line. The small piece has mass M1, speed V1, and kinetic energy K1=(1/2)M1V12. The kinetic energy of the bigger mass would be in terms of K1 would be:

Homework Equations

K=(1/2)mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to proceed without a mass ratio. The answer is [M1/(M-M1)]K1

Physics news on Phys.org
If an object of mass M splits into two pieces, one of which has mass M1, then what is the mass of the other one? Doesn't this give you a mass ratio?

phyzguy said:
If an object of mass M splits into two pieces, one of which has mass M1, then what is the mass of the other one? Doesn't this give you a mass ratio?

Yes I figured that part out. So M-M1 is the mass of the other piece. I don't know how to factor this into an equation that relates the kinetic energy of the first piece.

Oh I think I understand why the answer is the answer. Dividing the small mass by the big mass gives you the ratio, and then multiplying this by the small pieces Kinetic Energy gives you the fraction of kinetic energy that the big piece has. I think. Now how do I put that in equation form to show that?

First you need to conserve momentum. Since the object is initially at rest, it has zero momentum. Since momentum is conserved, it still has zero total momentum after the explosion. Since you know the momentum of one piece, what is the momentum of the other piece? Once you've calculated its momentum, since you know its mass, you can calculate its velocity and then its kinetic energy.

Related to Kinetic Energy in an Explosion

What is kinetic energy in an explosion?

Kinetic energy in an explosion is the energy that is released due to the movement and collision of particles during an explosion. It is a form of energy that is created and transferred through motion.

How is kinetic energy in an explosion calculated?

Kinetic energy in an explosion is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the explosive material and v is the velocity at which it is moving.

What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy released in an explosion?

The amount of kinetic energy released in an explosion is affected by factors such as the type and amount of explosive material, the speed at which it is detonated, and the surrounding environment.

Can kinetic energy in an explosion be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy in an explosion can be converted into other forms of energy such as heat, light, and sound. This is due to the intense movement and collision of particles during the explosion.

How is kinetic energy in an explosion used in different industries?

Kinetic energy in an explosion is used in various industries such as mining, construction, and demolition. It is also harnessed for military purposes and in research for space exploration.