Kirchoff's Law Problem: Finding Currents in a Parallel Circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a Kirchoff Law problem where the person is seeking help to find the current I1 and I3 in a circuit with given values for voltage and resistance. They have determined the first equation to be I1=I2+I3, but are unsure how to proceed from there. The expert advises fixing the second equation and solving the system of equations to find the unknown currents.
ahazen
Kirchoff Law Problem (please help me):(

I need help trying to find the current I1 which flows through R1 and the current I3 that flows through R3.

Given:
E1=8V
E2=4V
R1= 110
R2=40
R3=50
R4=50

I figured out that the first equation is: I1=I2+I3
The 2nd equation: 8V-160I1-40I2-50I3=0
3rd equation: 4V+40I2-50I3=0

I'm not sure what to do from here.

thank you:)

Attachments

• kirchoff.gif
    kirchoff.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 509
Physics news on Phys.org

Your second equation is wrong. fix that, and then you will have a set of 3 equation for three unknowns (I_1,I_2,I_3). Solve this system of equations and you are done.

1. What is Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law, also known as Kirchoff's Circuit Laws, are two fundamental principles in electrical circuits. They are used to analyze and solve complex circuit problems by understanding the relationships between voltage, current, and resistance.

2. What are the two laws in Kirchoff's Law?

The two laws in Kirchoff's Law are Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents flowing into a node in a circuit must be equal to the sum of currents flowing out of the node. KVL states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop in a circuit must be equal to the sum of voltage sources in that loop.

3. How do you apply Kirchoff's Law to a circuit problem?

To apply Kirchoff's Law, you must first identify all the nodes and loops in the circuit. Then, write out equations for KCL at each node and KVL for each loop. Use these equations to solve for unknown currents or voltages in the circuit.

4. Can Kirchoff's Law be applied to both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, Kirchoff's Law can be applied to both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) circuits. However, the calculations may be more complex in AC circuits due to the presence of impedance in addition to resistance.

5. What are the limitations of Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law assumes ideal circuit conditions, meaning no energy is lost through resistive elements. In reality, there will always be some energy loss, so the law may not be completely accurate. Additionally, Kirchoff's Law is based on linear circuit elements and may not be applicable to non-linear elements such as diodes and transistors.