How Does Kirchoff’s Voltage Law Apply to Supernodes in Circuit Analysis?

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is trying to teach themselves basic EE and is struggling with a problem involving finding IS2. They share their method and ask for help, and another person provides insight and explains the correct approach using KCL. The answer is found to be 1A.
pekpek
Hello All,

I am trying to teach myself basic EE. The textbook I am using gave the following example:

1. Find IS2. Diagram is attached.
Given:
IS1 = 2A
I2 = 3A
I3 = 2A
I4 = 1A
I5 = 0A

The answer in the textbook is 1A.

My Method using KCF:
IS1 + IS2 - I2- I3 - I4 -I5 = 0

Substituting the numbers I get: 2 + IS2 - 3 - 2 - 1 = 0; IS2 = 4A

I am not sure where I am going wrong here.

Thanks for any insight!

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
At the junction of R1 and R2 applying KCL you see:
Is1 + Is2 = I2

Voila!

If you look at the equation for the supernode, it won't involve IS2
current in = current out

Is1 = I3 + I5

Good luck with your studies.

Ahhh. Thanks NascentOxygen!

Hello,

It appears that you are using Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) to solve this problem. However, in this situation, it would be more appropriate to use Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL) and the concept of supernodes.

First, let's define a supernode. A supernode is a combination of two or more nodes that are connected by a voltage source. In this problem, node 1 and node 2 are connected by a voltage source (IS1), so they can be considered as a supernode.

To apply KVL, we need to create a loop that includes all the elements and the supernode. In this case, the loop would be: IS1 - I2 - I3 - IS2 = 0. This is because the voltage across the supernode is equal to the voltage source (IS1), and the sum of the voltage drops around the loop must equal zero.

Now, we can solve for IS2: IS2 = IS1 - I2 - I3 = 2A - 3A - 2A = -3A. However, since IS2 is defined as a current going in the opposite direction as IS1, we need to take the negative value of -3A, which gives us a final answer of 3A.

In summary, KVL and the concept of supernodes can be used to solve this problem and get the correct answer. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you had. Keep up the great work in teaching yourself basic EE!

1. What is Kirchoff's Law?

Kirchoff's Law, also known as Kirchoff's Circuit Law, is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of currents entering a node (or junction) in a circuit is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node. It is based on the law of conservation of charge, which states that charge cannot be created or destroyed.

2. What are supernodes in Kirchoff's Law?

Supernodes are special nodes in a circuit that are formed when two or more voltage sources are connected to the same node. In this case, the node is treated as a single entity, or "super" node, with the voltage sources acting as internal elements. This simplifies the circuit analysis process and allows for the use of Kirchoff's Law.

3. How do I apply Kirchoff's Law to supernodes?

To apply Kirchoff's Law to supernodes, you must first identify the supernode and treat it as a single node. Then, you can use Kirchoff's Law to analyze the currents entering and leaving the supernode, taking into account the internal voltage sources. This allows you to determine the current flowing through the supernode and the voltage at the internal nodes.

4. What is the difference between Kirchoff's Voltage Law and Kirchoff's Current Law?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero. This law is based on the law of conservation of energy. Kirchoff's Current Law, on the other hand, is based on the law of conservation of charge and states that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node.

5. Why is Kirchoff's Law important in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's Law is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that allows for the calculation of unknown currents and voltages in a circuit. By applying the law to nodes and loops in a circuit, it is possible to solve complex circuits and analyze their behavior. Without Kirchoff's Law, it would be much more difficult to analyze and understand the behavior of electronic circuits.