Kirchoff's Laws to find all currents flowing in the cct

In summary: You have subtracted 5 times the current going through R2 from the current going through R2 in loop 3 to get the current going through R2 in loop 1.
boo_lufc
1) Using Kirchoff's Laws, find all the currents flowing in the cct.

2) Hence, determine the voltages across all resistors and check that each loop complies with KVL

Attachments

• Circuit 2.jpg
    Circuit 2.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 397
Physics news on Phys.org
show us what you've done and where you have problems.

I have not seen a problem like this before but my basic knowledge of Kirchoff would lead me to take an equivalent R for the 1k and 4k resistor to make two loops. I would then have I1 coming from the 12V source, then at the node have I3 coming down the branch toward the 10V source and I2 carrying on towards the 6V source.
I would then obtain equations for the loops as well as I1 = I2 + I3 and try and manipulate these to get values.

Would this be the right method?

You need to write 2 KCL equations and 3 KVL equations in this circuit to solve it.
You will get 5 unknown currents (through 5 sections of the circuit) in 5 linear equations.

**You can't take the equivalent R here.
Basically you can take the equivalent of a pair of elements only if you know that they have either the same voltage or the same current going through them, this is not the case in this circuit.

Does it make any sense?

i think so but i am unsure about directions because i have not seen 3 voltage sources used before: Here's what i came up with if you could suggest if this is correct:

KCL at node 1: -I1 -I2 + I3 = 0
KCL at node 2: -I3 -I4 + I5 = 0

KVL (left) : 12 - (I1*R1) + (I2*R2) - 10 = 0
KVL (middle): 10 - (I2*R2) - I3*R3) + (I4*R4) - 6 = 0
KVL (right): 6 - (I4*R4) + (I5*R5) = 0

Please see image for resistor and current labels and directions

Attachments

• Circuit 3.jpg
    Circuit 3.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 390
just hoping this cct looks better

Attachments

• cct3.JPG
    cct3.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 435
You only need to write three KVL equations covering the three loops.

Be sure to "walk" all the way around each loop and include all currents flowing in each component.

Attachments

• Kirch1.jpg
    Kirch1.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
ok thanks but where have i gone wrong in the three eqns i posted?

Would i rewrite as :
Loop 1: 12 - I1R1 + (I1 - I2)R2 - 10 = 0

Loop2: 10 - (I1 - I2)R2 - I2R3 + (I2 - I3)R4 - 6 = 0

Loop 3 : 6 - (I2- I3) + I3R5 = 0 ?

Be careful about the directions of the currents in the components to maintain consistency. For loop 2, I2 going through the 2k resistor R2 should be a voltage drop, while I1 going in the opposite direction through the 2k would be a voltage rise. So

Loop 2: 10V - (I2 - I1)R2 - I2R3 - (I2 - I3)R4 - 6V = 0

Do the same for Loops 1 & 3.

so does this look right:

Loop 1: 12 - I1R1 - (I1-I2)R2 - 10 = 0

Loop 3: 6 - (I3-I2)R4 - I3R5 = 0

with loop 2 given in your last post

That looks okay to me. Solve for the currents and let's see what you get.

I have got:

I1 = 0.782mA

I2 = 0.955mA

I3 = 1.391mA Do these seem right?

When I use these values to work out the current across R2 for example I get the same value but negative and positive depending on what loop eqn I use. This seems like it would be right but in terms of the question: Find all the currents in the cct: how would I present this as a current in the cct?

boo_lufc said:
I have got:

I1 = 0.782mA

I2 = 0.955mA

I3 = 1.391mA Do these seem right?

They aren't the values that I I get... For example, I get 2mA for I2.

When I use these values to work out the current across R2 for example I get the same value but negative and positive depending on what loop eqn I use. This seems like it would be right but in terms of the question: Find all the currents in the cct: how would I present this as a current in the cct?

I think you'll want to indicate branch currents that will show the current for every component. You might choose the current directions so that the values are all positive.

From the equation for loop 3, i rearanged to get I2 = 5*I3 - 6 then subbed this value into the loop equations for lopp 1 and 2 and solved simulatneous equations.

Could you confirm if firstly this equation of I2 i have subbed in is correct and then if the method for finding the currents is correct please?

If this is right I must have just made an error in the algebra or calculations and can look again.

Rearranging equation 3 to solve for I2 and then substituting that value into the other equations is fine in theory. But without seeing how you've gone about doing it and the subsequent algebra, I can't spot an error in what I can't see.

You'll have to show your work.

Ok if I take it step by step then should be able to spot mistakes.
First I just put the resistor values in and canceled the loop equations as shown:

Loop 1: 12 - I1*R1 - (I1 - I2)*R2 - 10 = 0
2 - 3I1 - 2I1 + 2I2 = 0
2 - 5I1 + 2I2 = 0

Loop 2: 10 - (I2 - I1)*R2 - I2*R3 - (I2 - I3)*R4 - 6 = 0
4 - 2I2 + 2I1 - I2 - I2 + I3 = 0
4 - 4I2 + 2I1 + I3 = 0

Loop 3: 6 - (I3 - I2)*R4 - I3*R5 = 0
6 - I3 + I2 - 4*I3 = 0
6 - 5I3 + I2 = 0
I2 = 5I3 - 6

That looks good so far.

Ok so i then replace I2 with (5*I3 - 6) in the loop equations for loops 1 and 2:

Loop1: 2 - 5I1 + 2[5I3 - 6] = 0
2 - 5I1 + 10I3 - 12 = 0
-10 -5I1 + 10I3 = 0
10I3 - 5I1 = 10 -----------------(1)

Loop 2: 4 - 4[5I3 - 6] - 2I1 + I3 = 0
4 - 20I3 + 24 - 2I1 + I3 = 0
28 - 19I3 -2I1 = 0
28 = 19I3 - 2I1
19I3 - 2I1 = 28------------------(2)

I think i have spotted my mistake, you say you had 2mA for I2, did you also get
I1 = 1.2mA and
I3 = 1.6mA?

That looks good!

Ok good, so then to work out the voltage across all resistors using ohms law:
VR1 = I1*3 = 3.6V
VR2 = (I1 - I2)*2 = -1.6V
VR3 = I2*1 = 2V
VR4 = (I3 - I2)*R4 = -0.4V
VR5 = I3*4 = 6.4V

With VR2 and VR4 being negative or positive depending what loop you use

Related to Kirchoff's Laws to find all currents flowing in the cct

1. What are Kirchoff's Laws and how are they used to find all currents in a circuit?

Kirchoff's Laws are a set of rules used to analyze electric circuits. They are based on the principles of conservation of charge and conservation of energy. These laws are used to find all the currents flowing in a circuit by applying the concepts of voltage, current, and resistance.

2. What is the first law of Kirchoff and how does it help in finding currents in a circuit?

The first law of Kirchoff, also known as the Current Law or Kirchoff's Junction Rule, states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving that junction. This law helps in finding currents in a circuit by providing a mathematical equation to solve for unknown currents.

3. How does Kirchoff's second law aid in determining the currents in a circuit?

Kirchoff's second law, also known as the Voltage Law or Kirchoff's Loop Rule, states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop circuit must equal the sum of voltage rises. This law is useful in finding currents in a circuit by providing a way to calculate unknown voltages and currents using Ohm's Law.

4. Can Kirchoff's Laws be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's Laws can be applied to any type of circuit, whether it is a simple series or parallel circuit, or a more complex network of circuits. These laws are applicable to both DC and AC circuits.

5. Are there any limitations to using Kirchoff's Laws to find all currents in a circuit?

While Kirchoff's Laws are an essential tool for analyzing circuits, they do have some limitations. These laws assume that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that all the voltages and currents in the circuit are constant. They also assume that the circuit components are linear, meaning that the relationship between voltage and current follows Ohm's Law. In some cases, these assumptions may not hold true, and other methods may be needed to analyze the circuit.