Knowing Damping and Spring Constant Finding Time

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the time it takes for the amplitude of oscillations to decrease from 10.0 mm to 5.00 mm in a system with a spring, mass, and damping constant. The solution involves using a characteristic equation and finding a linear combination of exponentials and sines/cosines. The final equation derived from the conversation is t=(2mln(1/2))/-b, where t represents time, m is the mass, and b is the damping constant.
CalebtheCoward

Homework Statement

A spring with a force constant of 1.50 N/m is attached to a mass of 120 g. The system has a damping constant of 0.0180 Ns/m. How long does it take the amplitude of the oscillations to decrease from 10.0 mm to 5.00 mm?

Homework Equations

(double dot)x +(c/m)(one dot)x+(k/m)x=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Not exactly sure how to get started.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do we usually get started with equations of the form a*y'' + b*y' + c*y = 0? Here's a hint: try to find a characteristic equation.

I think I understand what you're saying. So start with a standard equation, then take the derivative producing two other equations, and substitute the given values in front of each of the respective equations. Is this correct?

It might be, but I'll need you to be a little more specific. Can you show us the work that you are talking about?

Well. I found the equation that works.
final amplitude=original amplitude times e raised to the quantity of -(bt/2m) where b represents the damping constant, t the amount of time, and m the mass of said device. And after that it's pretty basic math. If this could be derived from the characteristic equation, I would hope so, but I must admit that I couldn't do such a thing.

And for others,
First 5=10e^-(bt/2m), 5/10=e^-(bt/2m), ln(1/2)=-(bt/2m), solve for t, t=(2mln(1/2))/-b, substitute given values, [2(0.120)ln(1/2)]/-(0.0180)=t=9.24 seconds.

The equation looks great.

We know from the characteristic equation that the solution is a linear combination of exponentials and sines/cosines whose values we can determine from the characteristic equation. After this, we can find the amplitude of the linear combination with the Pythagorean theorem. If all works out, the sines and cosines will go to 1 (remember your trig identities), and the exponential will slip out of the amplitude.

Give that a try. The equation should come out as you got it.

1. What is damping?

Damping is a phenomenon in which the amplitude of oscillations of a system decreases over time. It is caused by the dissipation of energy, usually through friction or resistance.

2. How is damping measured?

Damping can be measured using a damping coefficient, which is a measure of the amount of damping present in a system. It is typically represented by the symbol "b" and is calculated by dividing the damping force by the velocity of the system.

3. What is the spring constant?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the symbol "k" and is calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the resulting displacement.

4. How do you find the time period of a spring-mass system?

The time period of a spring-mass system can be found by using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the time period, m is the mass of the object attached to the spring, and k is the spring constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of knowing damping and spring constant?

Damping and spring constant are important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. They are used in designing shock absorbers, car suspensions, and building structures to reduce vibrations. They are also important in understanding the motion of objects in systems such as pendulums and springs, and in studying the elastic properties of materials.