Lab Experiment - Puck Impact on Wall, Analyzing Force

In summary, this lab experiment aims to analyze the force of impact when a puck hits a wall in a controlled environment. The materials needed for this experiment include a puck, a wall, a force sensor, a data acquisition system, and a computer with data analysis software. The force of impact is measured using a force sensor connected to a data acquisition system. Potential sources of error in this experiment include human error, variations in the wall surface, and variations in the force applied. The results of this experiment can be applied in real life to understand the force of impact in sports and engineering.
iris
Homework Statement
I have solved up until the value of impulse and the final value I have to acquire is time of collision to then solve for average force. In this system their is a puck that is slid across a frictionless plane, and after every 30 ms (milliseconds) makes a carbon dot on a piece of paper. The puck hits a wall and experiences a loss of momentum and redirects its path. I have had trouble figuring out how to find how long the collision took.
Relevant Equations
AvgF= impulse/collision time
Please see attached image. This was a lab performed where a puck hit a wall shown on the page, the difficulty I’ve had is being able to see when and for how long the puck hit the wall as it is needed to find the average force in the system. Each dot on the page is 30milliseconds apart.
7A028260-6DFF-4D76-A585-A800DCD56C08.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems clear that the collision time is a lot shorter than 30ms, so I see no way to find it from these data.
Please post the complete statement of the task as given to you.

1. What is the purpose of the lab experiment?

The purpose of the lab experiment is to analyze the force of a puck impacting a wall and to understand the principles of force and momentum.

2. What materials are needed for the experiment?

The materials needed for the experiment include a puck, a wall, a force sensor, a motion sensor, a computer with data analysis software, and any necessary safety equipment.

3. How is force measured in the experiment?

Force is measured using a force sensor, which is connected to the computer and records the force exerted on the sensor by the puck during impact.

4. What variables are being tested in the experiment?

The variables being tested in the experiment are the mass and velocity of the puck, the angle of impact, and the material of the wall.

5. How is data collected and analyzed in the experiment?

Data is collected using the motion sensor and force sensor, which send information to the computer. The data is then analyzed using data analysis software to calculate the force of impact and observe any patterns or trends.