Lagrange vs Hamilton: What's the Difference?

• Thread starter Sami Ullah
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hamilton
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance and differences between Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics. While both methods provide identical equations of motion, Lagrangian mechanics is limited in its applications and can be more difficult to use practically, while Hamiltonian mechanics offers new theoretical concepts and can be more practical to use. It is important to study mechanics from different points of view in order to gain a better understanding of the universe and its workings, as it provides a strong foundation for studying other branches of physics.
Sami Ullah
if lagrangian mechanics is available the why we needed hamiltonian mechanics. where they differ from each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
If natural sciences only studied what was neccesary I believe two things would happen:

- Things would get boring,
- Human knowledge would lose a hell of a load of insight.

I reckon if you're going to ask that question, there is one that should go before it: why do we need Lagrangian mechanics when Newtonian mechanics is available? Lagrangian mechanics, for all the power it has, is really limited to a handful of situations: non-holonomic constraints blow Lagrangian mechanics put of the water 1. Newtonian vector mechanics, however has not problem with them. So why do we use Lagrangian mechanics? It turns out that the equations of motion both methods supply are identical, but arriving at those equations, while relativly easy in Lagrangian mechanics, can be quite a pain in the backside if one uses vector mechanics ( forces, reactions, etc). And, apart from the practical issues, which I believe are what would interest an engineer when he or she has to finish a project, from a theoretical point of view Lagrangian mechanics offers a lot of insight into the structure of mechanics as a theory, gives a neat explanation for conservation laws (based of symmetries in the Lagrangian), and builds up concepts which are used all throughout physics.

Back to your question, why use hamiltonian mechanics if Lagrangian mechanics is available? Like in the Lagrangian vs Newtonian case, Hamiltonian mechanics has a characteristic that from a practical point of view : while Lagrangian Mechanics spits out a second order ordinary differential equations (ODE), Hamiltonian mechanics gives us two first order ODE's, which in a lot of cases are easier to solve, and offers new ways to calculate conserved quantities of motion. Also, Hamiltonian mechanics presents new theoretical concepts, such as Poisson Brackets, which is used in any branches of physics to study the time evolution of a system, canonical transforations, phase space, Liouville's theorem, etc. Even the Hamiltonian, which a lot of the time can be thought of as the mechanical energy of the system ( if certain conditions are met) becomes an important concept in Modern Physics ( I believe, I still have to trust my prof on that one).

During my still short time in college I have studied Newtonian Mechanics, Lagrangian Mechanics and Hamltonian Mechanics. We learned about Lagrangian Mechanics from the point of view of virtual work and D'Alembert's principle, and from the point of view of the principle of least action. In the first, you use Newton's laws as a starting point. In the later, you can recover Newton's laws very quickly. Hamiltonian mechanics can be formulated by using a partial legendre transform on the Lagrangian ( changing the generalized velocities for the canconical momenta) or from a modified action principle. And there are more formulations, such as the Hamilton-Jacobi equation.

What I am trying to say with this overgrown response is that looking at things from different points of view often reveals information which was hidden behind the curtains. And the fact is that if we want to understand the way the universe works, we have to look behind all of them. Especially when it comes to the basics, like classical mechanics. Because really, if you come to think about it, a lot of the results of physics are concepts that you can later plug into equations of motion from mechanics to learn how things move and work, so the better we understand mechanics (classical, quantum, statistical...) the better the basis we will have to study branches like EM, optics, thermodynamics, solid state, etc.

1http://physics.clarku.edu/courses/201/sreading/AJP73_March2005_265-272.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jonjacson

1. What is the main difference between Lagrange and Hamilton equations?

The main difference between Lagrange and Hamilton equations is the form in which they are written. Lagrange equations are written in terms of generalized coordinates and their derivatives, while Hamilton equations are written in terms of generalized coordinates and their conjugate momenta.

2. Which one is more commonly used in classical mechanics?

Lagrange equations are more commonly used in classical mechanics because they are easier to derive and solve compared to Hamilton equations.

3. Can Lagrange and Hamilton equations be used interchangeably?

While they both describe the same physical system, Lagrange and Hamilton equations cannot be used interchangeably. This is because they have different forms and use different variables.

4. What is the advantage of using Hamilton equations over Lagrange equations?

The advantage of using Hamilton equations is that they provide a more intuitive description of a system's dynamics, making it easier to analyze and interpret physical phenomena.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Lagrange and Hamilton equations?

Yes, Lagrange and Hamilton equations are widely used in many fields of physics and engineering, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the development of mathematical models for predicting the behavior of physical systems.