Lagrangian equations of particle in rotational paraboloid

In summary, the particle moves along the circular trajectory at a height of z = z(0). It slightly deflects downwards and finds the frequency of small oscillations around the original intact trajectory.
Oomph!
Hello. I solve this problem:

1. Homework Statement

The particles of mass m moves without friction on the inner wall of the axially symmetric vessel with the equation of the rotational paraboloid:

paraboild.png

where b>0.

a) The particle moves along the circular trajectory at a height of z = z(0).

express:
- Lagrangian
- the equation of motion for the polar coordinate r
- energy of the particle (with m, z(0), b and g only)
- angular momentum of the particle (with m, z(0), b and g only)

b) We slightly deflect the particles downwards. Find the frequency of small oscillations around the original intact trajectory.

2. Relevant equation
Lagrangian equations, equations for energy in conservative field and angular momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I didn't have any problem with Lagrangian and equation of motion for the polar coordinate r. Here is the result, I know how to do it:
- Lagrangian:
lagrangian.png
(1)
- equation of motion for the polar coordinate r:
equation2.png
(2)

I have problem to express the energy and angular momentrum od particle. I show you my attempt:
equations3.png

So, the problem is that I don't know, how to express the time derivation of Θ.
Could I just say, that the time derivation of Θ is the (gb)^(1/2) because the equation (2) is in standart form where ω^2=gb?

b) Well, I don't have any idea. I just have the result:
frequention.png

And it doesn't make sense if I told that ω^2=gb.

So, please, could you tell me what is wrong and what to do?

Thank you.

Attachments

• paraboild.png
    paraboild.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 2,280
  • lagrangian.png
    lagrangian.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,239
  • equation2.png
    equation2.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,279
  • equations3.png
    equations3.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,304
  • frequention.png
    frequention.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 1,227
Physics news on Phys.org
You should have two equations of motion, one for the ##\phi## coordinate and another for ##r##.

You should also have ##\ddot{\phi} = 0## in you EOM.

Edit: your equation (2) seems wrong to me you should be getting:

$$0 = (1+b^2r^2)\ddot{r} + 2b^2 r\dot{r}^2+gbr - r\dot{\phi}^2=0$$

But I don't see how you can find ##\dot{\phi}##.

Last edited:
Oomph! said:
upload_2017-11-6_14-37-14.png

Check the sign of the second term.

Apply the ##r## equation of motion to the special case of circular motion. (What are ##\dot r## and ##\ddot r## for this case?)

Note: Be sure not to confuse the angular velocity of the circular motion of part (a) with the angular frequency of small oscillations in part (b).

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-6_14-37-14.png
    upload_2017-11-6_14-37-14.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,270
So first you can find a solution for your velocity of a circular orbit. Therefore you know ##\dot{r} = \ddot{r} = 0##. From your corrected equation 2 (what TSny wrote) you get:

$$r\dot\varphi = gbr \Rigtharrow v_0=\sqrt{gb}r_0$$

From the other equation you would get, if you've derived the Lagrangian for ##\varphi## you get, that you angular momentum ##L## is constant (central, conservative force).

$$L = m\dot\varphi r^2 = mv_0r_0 \Rightarrow \dot \varphi = \frac{\sqrt{gbr_0^4}}{r^2}$$

This is your expression of $\dot\varphi$ written in terms of the current radius ##r(t)## and the radius ##r_0## of the stable orbit. Putting this into eqaution 2 we get:

$$\ddot r(1+b^2r^2) - b^2r\dot r^2 - \frac{gbr_0^4}{r^3} + gbr = 0$$

Furthermore, for small oscillations we can say: ##r(t) = r_0 + \epsilon(t)## with ##\dot r = \dot\epsilon## and ##\ddot r = \ddot \epsilon## and ##\epsilon << r_0##. Furthermore every term with an ##\epsilon## of higher order than 1 is neglegable. This means ##\epsilon^2 = 0##, ##\dot\epsilon^2 = 0##,##\dot\epsilon\epsilon = 0## ... Doing this we get:

$$\ddot \epsilon (1+b^2r_0^2) - \frac{gbr_0^4}{(r_0+\epsilon)^3} + gbr_0 + gb\epsilon$$

With ##(r_0 + \epsilon)^3 = r_0^3+3r_0^3\epsilon + 0 +0 \approx r_0^3## because ##r_0^3 >> 3r_0^2\epsilon## which leads to the differential equation:

$$\ddot\epsilon -\frac{gb}{1+b^2r_0^2}\cdot r = 0$

So we get

$$\omega = \sqrt{\frac{gb}{1+b^2r_0^2}}$$ = \sqrt{\frac{gb}{1+2bz_0}}

I know I'm missing a 2 in front of the squareroot. I don't know where I lost it

Likes curious_mind
Please note that this thread is more than five years old and that the OP has not been seen for four years. It is unlikely that your response will be of help at this point but thank you for submitting it.

Likes PhDeezNutz

1. What is a Lagrangian equation of a particle in a rotational paraboloid?

A Lagrangian equation is a mathematical representation that describes the motion of a particle in a rotational paraboloid, taking into account the particle's position, velocity, and acceleration. It is derived from the principle of least action, which states that the path a particle takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action, or the integral of the Lagrangian equation.

2. How is the Lagrangian equation derived for a particle in a rotational paraboloid?

The Lagrangian equation is derived by considering the kinetic and potential energies of the particle in the rotational paraboloid. The kinetic energy is given by the particle's mass and velocity, while the potential energy is determined by the shape of the paraboloid and the position of the particle within it. By taking the derivative of the Lagrangian equation with respect to time, the equations of motion for the particle can be determined.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian equation for a particle in a rotational paraboloid?

The Lagrangian equation allows for a more efficient and elegant way to describe the motion of a particle in a rotational paraboloid compared to using Newton's laws of motion. It also takes into account the constraints of the paraboloid, which can be complicated to incorporate into Newton's laws. Additionally, the Lagrangian equation can be generalized to describe systems with multiple particles and complex shapes.

4. How does the Lagrangian equation account for the shape of the rotational paraboloid?

The shape of the rotational paraboloid is taken into account through the potential energy term in the Lagrangian equation. This term depends on the curvature of the paraboloid and the position of the particle within it. By including this term, the Lagrangian equation reflects the constraints of the paraboloid and can accurately describe the motion of the particle within it.

5. Can the Lagrangian equation be applied to other shapes besides a rotational paraboloid?

Yes, the Lagrangian equation can be applied to a variety of shapes and systems, including particles moving in a straight line, on a plane, or in three-dimensional space. It can also be used to describe systems with multiple particles and complex interactions. However, the derivation of the Lagrangian equation may vary depending on the specific shape and constraints of the system.