Lagrangian equations with other kinds of constraints

In summary, the author is trying to figure out how to add a constraint to a Lagrangian, but is having trouble doing so. He recommends a book called "Constrained Optimization and Lagrange Multiplier Methods" by Dimitri P. Bertsekas.
DEvens
Education Advisor
Gold Member
Homework Statement
How can we express a Lagrangian for a system with a constraint that is not expressed as F(x) = 0?
Relevant Equations
N/A
When a constraint is expressed as F(x)=0, I am quite comfortable in putting such constraints into the Lagrangian. Just add the function with an undetermined multiplier, then treat the multiplier as an additional coordinate, and proceed as before.

##L = T - V + \lambda F ##

For example, you can do motion on a surface by taking the F to be a function that defines the surface. A sphere, for example, could have this.

## F(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 - R^2 = 0 ##

This is a very usual thing for studying Lagrangian dynamics, and most people study some such problem when they study Lagrangians. Not bothered about that.

I have been trying to figure out how to do something along these lines for constraints that are not expressed as some function. For example, suppose I am considering a simple ballistics problem, launching a projectile and calculating its path under gravity. The Lagrangian is just the following.

##L = \frac{1}{2} m V_x^2 + \frac{1}{2} m V_y^2 - g y ##

And the Lagrange equations are just the usual Newtonian things. ##V_x## is constant, and ##\frac{d V_y}{dt} = -g##.

Now suppose the constraint that I have is that the particle should reach a particular location. Say (Xp,Yp) as the spot the particle should pass through. I am having a very hard time expressing this in a way I could add to the Lagrangian with a multiplier. Or suppose that the constraint is that, at distance Xp, the particle must pass through a gate extending from YL to YH. This also is resisting my attempts to express it as a function that could be added to the Lagrangian with a multiplier.

I can certainly solve the equations in terms of general initial values, then solve for the required initial values to get the required end point. Or the required range of end-point values. But that is not what I am trying to do. I am trying to set things up so that there is a modified Lagrangian which has Lagrange equations that include a constraint. And the resultant set of equations have as their solution that the particle goes where it is supposed to.

I have a book: "Constrained Optimization and Lagrange Multiplier Methods" by Dimitri P. Bertsekas. It's good for numerically solving constrained systems, including inequality type problems But it does not set things up the way I would hope. Rather it casts things in a way they can be solved numerically.

Any tiny clues appreciated. Is this even possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm.. I think you are talking of involvement of non-holonomic constraint in Lagrange formulation. Not all non-holonomic constraint can be incoroporated in Lagrangian(cf. Goldstein).

Likes DEvens
I'm just guessing but I don't think you can use Lagrangian multipliers. Thinking about their physical interpretation: they kind of represent the work done by the constraints to keep the object "on the right path". Here you don't have constraints you are just asking for a particular condition more like a boundary condition (i.e. the object has to be at point x,y).

DEvens said:
the particle must pass through a gate extending from YL to YH.
Maybe you can "break" the problem in two part:
1) get to the gate
2) get through the gate
But it is not what you are looking for

Again, I know very little about variational mechanics so I'm just speculating. I just wanted to share my thoughts :)

1. What are Lagrangian equations with other kinds of constraints?

Lagrangian equations with other kinds of constraints are a mathematical tool used to solve problems in physics and engineering. They combine the principles of calculus and classical mechanics to find the optimal solutions to systems with multiple constraints.

2. How do Lagrangian equations with other kinds of constraints differ from traditional Lagrangian equations?

Traditional Lagrangian equations only consider constraints that can be expressed as equations, such as forces or energy conservation. Lagrangian equations with other kinds of constraints take into account additional constraints, such as geometric or kinematic constraints, which cannot be expressed as equations.

3. What are some common applications of Lagrangian equations with other kinds of constraints?

Lagrangian equations with other kinds of constraints are commonly used in various fields, including mechanics, robotics, and control systems. They are particularly useful for analyzing and optimizing the motion of complex mechanical systems with multiple constraints.

4. How are Lagrangian equations with other kinds of constraints solved?

These equations are solved using the method of Lagrange multipliers, which involves finding the stationary point of a Lagrangian function that includes the constraints. This is typically done using calculus and optimization techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrangian equations with other kinds of constraints?

While Lagrangian equations with other kinds of constraints are a powerful tool, they do have some limitations. They may not be suitable for systems with highly nonlinear constraints or systems with a large number of constraints. Additionally, they may not be able to find global optimal solutions in some cases.