Lagrangian for a double spring pendulum connected through a rigid bar

In summary, the conversation is about a Lagrangian problem that the person is trying to solve using initial conditions and Matlab code. They are having issues with the "theta2" variable and believe it is due to the holonomic constraint. They are seeking guidance on how to handle the system and if there are any mistakes in their approach. The conversation also includes a mathematical representation of a single spring pendulum problem and the equations of motion for this system.
Mishal0488
Hi Guys

I am looking for some guidance with regards to a Lagrangian problem I am trying to solve.
Please refer to the attached documents.

Please neglect all the forcing functions for the time being. I am currently just trying to simulate the problem using initial conditions only

I have written Matlab code to simulate the problem, however my results are not as expected. the "theta2" variable always has a 0 solution, in some cases imaginary numbers form part of the solution. using initial conditions on the theta2 variable generally causes no solution as the ODE solvers on Matlab develop tolerance errors.

Note that the holonomic constraint whereby (b+r) is the subject of the formula is developed on Matlab using the symbolic package.

I believe the source of the issues is due to the holonomic constraint.
Can anyone provide me with some guidance on how to handle the system? and/or any mistakes which I have made. Could the system be represented in a more elegant manner?

Apologies for any funny terminology or poor representation of aspects, I am a structural engineer, Lagrangian mechanics isn't something that forms part of our undergraduate education hence this has been self taught.

Matlab:
function xp = Statespace3(t,x,r,L,Cs,Cp,Fv1,Fv2,Fh,w,w2,w3,k,m1,m2)

A = (x(5)+r);
three = A*cos(x(1))*cos(x(3));
four = A*sin(x(1))*sin(x(3));

R1 = L^2*sin(x(3))^2;
R2 = -A^2*cos(x(1))^2*sin(x(3))^2;
R3 = -A^2*cos(x(3))^2*sin(x(1))^2;
R4 = -2*A*L*cos(x(3))^2*sin(x(1));
R5 = 2*A^2*cos(x(1))*cos(x(3))*sin(x(1))*sin(x(3));
R6 = 2*A*L*cos(x(1))*cos(x(3))*sin(x(3));

one = sqrt(R1+R2+R3+R4+R5+R6);
B = L*sin(x(3))-one+three+four;

three_dot = x(6)*cos(x(1))*cos(x(3))-A*x(2)*sin(x(1))*cos(x(3))-A*x(4)*cos(x(1))*sin(x(3));
four_dot = x(6)*sin(x(1))*sin(x(3))+A*x(2)*cos(x(1))*sin(x(3))+A*x(4)*sin(x(1))*cos(x(3));

R1_dot = 2*x(4)*sin(x(3))*cos(x(3))*L^2;
R2_dot = -2*x(6)*A*cos(x(1))^2*sin(x(3))^2+2*x(2)*A^2*cos(x(1))*sin(x(1))*sin(x(3))^2-2*x(4)*A^2*cos(x(1))^2*sin(x(3))*cos(x(3));
R3_dot = -2*x(6)*A*cos(x(3))^2*sin(x(1))^2+2*A^2*x(4)*cos(x(3))*sin(x(3))*sin(x(1))^2-2*A^2*cos(x(3))^2*x(2)*sin(x(1))*cos(x(1));
R4_dot = -2*x(6)*cos(x(3))^2*sin(x(1))^2+2*x(4)*A*cos(x(3))*sin(x(3))*sin(x(1))^2-2*x(2)*A*cos(x(3))^2*sin(x(1))*cos(x(1));
R5_dot = 4*x(6)*A*cos(x(1))*cos(x(3))*sin(x(1))*sin(x(3))-2*A^2*x(2)*sin(x(1))^2*cos(x(3))*sin(x(3))-2*A^2*cos(x(1))*x(4)*sin(x(3))^2+sin(x(1))+2*A^2*cos(x(1))*x(2)*cos(x(1))^2*sin(x(3))+2*A^2*cos(x(1))*sin(x(1))*x(4)*cos(x(3))^2;
R6_dot = 2*x(6)*L*cos(x(1))*cos(x(3))*sin(x(3))-2*A*L*x(2)*sin(x(1))*cos(x(3))*sin(x(3))-2*A*L*x(4)*cos(x(1))*sin(x(3))^2+2*A*L*x(4)*cos(x(1))*cos(x(3))^2;

X_dot = (R1_dot+R2_dot+R3_dot+R4_dot+R5_dot+R6_dot);

b_dot = L*x(4)*cos(x(3))+three_dot+four_dot-X_dot/(2*(one));

%theta1 coordinate
F_t1 = A*Fh*sin(w*t)*cos(x(1));
theta1_dotdot = (F_t1-2*m1*x(2)*x(6)*A-9.81*m1*sin(x(1))*A-Cp*x(2))/(m1*A^2);

%theta2 coordinate
F_t2 = B*Fh*sin(w*t)*cos(x(3));
theta2_dotdot = (F_t2-2*m2*x(4)*b_dot*B-9.81*m2*sin(x(3))*B-Cp*x(4))/(m2*B^2);

%a coordinate
Fa = Fh*sin(w*t)*sin(x(1))+Fv1*sin(w2*t);
a_dotdot = (Fa+m1*x(2)^2*A-k*x(5)+9.81*m1*cos(x(1))-Cs*x(6))/m1;

%b coordinate
b_dotdot = (m2*x(4)^2*B+k*(B-r)*9.81*m2*cos(x(3)))/m2;
%state vector
xp = [x(2);
      theta1_dotdot;
      x(4);
      theta2_dotdot
      x(5)
      a_dotdot;];

Attachments

• Time derivative of theholonomic constraint part 2.pdf
    667 KB · Views: 90
  • Time derivative of the holonomic constratint part 1.pdf
    787.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Holonomic constraint.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 114
  • Lagrangian formulation1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
Physics news on Phys.org
For the case of single spring pendulum
[tex]L=\frac{m}{2}(\dot{r}^2+r^2\dot{\theta}^2)-mgr sin\theta -\frac{k}{2}(r-r_0)^2[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q}-\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}[/tex]
for q=r,##\theta## are
[tex]mr\dot{\theta}^2 - mg \sin\theta -k (r-r_0) - m \ddot{r}[/tex]
[tex]-m\dot{(r^2\dot{\theta})}- mgr cos\theta [/tex]
where ##r_0## is natural length of spring.
By method of Lagrangean multiplier the equations of motions are
[tex]mr_1\dot{\theta_1}^2 - mg \sin\theta_1 -k (r_1-r_0) - m \ddot{r_1}+\lambda(t)\frac{\partial C}{\partial r_1}=0[/tex]
[tex]mr_2\dot{\theta_2}^2 - mg \sin\theta_2 -k (r_2-r_0) - m \ddot{r_2}+\lambda(t)\frac{\partial C}{\partial r_2}=0[/tex]
[tex]-m\dot{(r_1^2\dot{\theta_1})}- mgr_1 \cos\theta_1 +\lambda(t)\frac{\partial C}{\partial \theta_1}=0[/tex]
[tex]-m\dot{(r_2^2\dot{\theta_2})}- mgr_2 \cos\theta_2 +\lambda(t)\frac{\partial C}{\partial \theta_2}=0[/tex]
where
[tex]C=r_1^2+r_2^2-2r_1r_2cos(\theta_2-\theta_1)+2r_2L \sin\theta_2 -2r_1L\sin\theta_1[/tex]
These four equations together with
[tex]C=0[/tex]
which means the two spring pendulums are connected with a bar of length L.
should give us a solution.

I hope this would help you to check your way.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2 and Mishal0488
Thank you.

With regards to the formulation of the Lagrangian we have done a similar thing with the difference being that my r1 and r2 are (a+r) and (b+r) however I think both a suitable.

I don't understand your holonomic constraint, can you please explain further?

Can the problem also be solved by simply making one of the variables of the holonomic constraint the subject of the formula (lets say r1)? We can then also take the time derivative of r1, thus using substitution we can reduce the number of DOF down to 3 instead of the current 4.

Connection by bar is expressed as
[tex](r_2 \cos\theta_2-r_1 \cos\theta_1)^2+(r_2 sin\theta_2+L-r_1 \sin\theta_1)^2=L^2[/tex]
This is transformable to C=0 in post #2.

I have just got to make equations and not gone to how to solve them. Numerical solution might be necessary.

Mishal0488 said:
Can the problem also be solved by simply making one of the variables of the holonomic constraint the subject of the formula (lets say r1)?
Another approach is to take x, y coordinates of the center of the bar and angle of bar wrt horizon as variables. We reduce parameters from four to three with the constraints built in.

Last edited:
@anuttarasammyak, Thank you for the assistance. I managed to get the system to solve on Matlab, I have not had a chance to check the legitimacy of the results as yet.

The only difference between your suggestion and what I have is the manner in which the spring length is represented. Your method developed cleaner equations though due to there being less variables to worry about. Still can't figure out the issue with what I initially did...

1. What is a Lagrangian for a double spring pendulum connected through a rigid bar?

The Lagrangian for a double spring pendulum connected through a rigid bar is a mathematical expression that describes the total energy of the system. It takes into account the kinetic energy and potential energy of the pendulum and the rigid bar, and is used to derive the equations of motion for the system.

2. How is the Lagrangian calculated for a double spring pendulum connected through a rigid bar?

The Lagrangian for a double spring pendulum connected through a rigid bar is calculated by summing the kinetic and potential energies of the individual components of the system. This includes the masses of the pendulum and the rigid bar, the lengths of the springs, and the angles of the pendulum and the bar.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian for a double spring pendulum connected through a rigid bar?

The Lagrangian is significant because it allows us to model the behavior of the system and predict its motion over time. By using the Lagrangian, we can derive the equations of motion for the system and solve for the position, velocity, and acceleration of the pendulum and the rigid bar at any given time.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used to analyze other systems besides a double spring pendulum connected through a rigid bar?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to analyze a wide range of physical systems, including but not limited to pendulums, oscillators, and rigid bodies. It is a powerful tool in classical mechanics and is often used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of complex systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian for a double spring pendulum connected through a rigid bar?

While the Lagrangian is a useful tool for analyzing the behavior of the system, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the system is in a state of equilibrium and does not take into account external forces or factors such as friction. Additionally, it is based on classical mechanics and may not accurately describe the behavior of systems at the quantum level.