Lagrangian for pendulum with moving support

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a pointmass sliding along a wire in a homogeneous gravity field and forming a pendulum with a second pointmass. The task is to find the equations of motion for this system, which involves calculating the Lagrangian and conjugate momenta. However, the conversation also notes that solving the system directly may be difficult, and suggests using a first order approximation on the angles as a simplification.
Decimal

Homework Statement

[/B]
In a homogeneous gravity field with uniform gravitational acceleration g,
a pointmass m1 can slide without friction along a horizontal wire. The mass m1 is the pivot point of a
pendulum formed by a massless bar of constant length L, at the end of which a
second pointmass m2 is attached. m2 can oscillate within the plane. I included a drawing.

Find the equations of motion for this system

Homework Equations

[/B]
Lagrangian
$$ \mathcal{L} = T - V $$

Lagrange equations
$$\frac {d} {dt} (\frac {d\mathcal{L}} {\dot {dq_i}}) - (\frac {d\mathcal{L}} {dq_i}) = 0 $$

Conjugate momenta
$$p_i = (\frac {d\mathcal{L}} {\dot {dq_i}}) $$
$$\dot {p_i} = (\frac {d\mathcal{L}} {dq_i}) $$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
First I computed the kinetic energy and potential energy. $$ T = \frac {1} {2} \dot {x_1}^2*(m_1+m_2) + m \dot {x_1} \dot {\phi} L cos(\phi) + \frac {1} {2} m_2 L^2 \dot {\phi}^2 $$ and $$ V = -m*g*L*cos(\phi) $$ Now I can calculate the Lagrangian: $$ \mathcal{L} = \frac {1} {2} \dot {x_1}^2*(m_1+m_2) + m \dot {x_1} \dot {\phi} L cos(\phi) + \frac {1} {2} m_2 L^2 \dot {\phi}^2 - -m*g*L*cos(\phi) $$ From this I can calculate the conjugate momenta, which then equal: $$ p_{x1} = \dot {x_1} (m1+m2) + m_2 \dot {\phi} L cos(\phi) $$ $$ p_\phi = m_2 L^2 \dot {\phi} + m_2 \dot {x_1} L cos(\phi) $$ Now using the lagrange equations I find the following equations of motion: $$ \ddot {x_1} (m1+m2) + m_2 \ddot {\phi} L cos(\phi) - m_2 \dot {\phi}^2 L sin(\phi) = 0 $$ $$ m_2 L^2 \ddot {\phi} + m_2 \ddot {x_1} L cos(\phi) - m_2 * \dot {x_1} \dot {\phi} L sin(\phi) = -m_2 g L sin(\phi) $$ Now straight up solving these equations for ## \ddot {x_1}## and ##\ddot {\phi}## will take quite a lot of work, so I was wondering whether there is an easier way to get the answer without solving this system directly. I feel like I should to do something with the fact that ## \dot {p_{x1}} = 0 ## so ##p_{x1}## is conserved. I am just not quite sure how I can use this. Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• pendulum.png
    pendulum.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,948
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It has been many years since I worked this problem, and I don't recall the result. However, I notice that you did not present anything about the kinematics of the system, but rather jumped straight into writing the energies. The kinematics is where things usually go wrong, in my experience as a teacher. I'd check that part before worrying about solving the differential equations. Time spent solving the wrong equations is utterly wasted.

Likes Decimal
Dr.D said:
It has been many years since I worked this problem, and I don't recall the result. However, I notice that you did not present anything about the kinematics of the system, but rather jumped straight into writing the energies. The kinematics is where things usually go wrong, in my experience as a teacher. I'd check that part before worrying about solving the differential equations. Time spent solving the wrong equations is utterly wasted.

Thanks for the response, I assume by kinematics you mean the way in which I derived the velocities of the two point masses. The velocity of the first mass is just ## \dot{x_1} ##, for the second mass I first wrote down the position vector, expressed in cartesian coordinates: $$ \vec {r_2} = \begin{pmatrix} x_1 + L sin(\phi) \\ -L cos(\phi) \end{pmatrix} $$ Then the velocity will equal: $$ \vec {v_2} = \begin{pmatrix} \dot {x_1} + L cos(\phi) \dot {\phi} \\ L sin(\phi) \dot {\phi} \end{pmatrix} $$ and then $$ \vec {v_2}^2 = \dot {x_1}^2 + 2*\dot {x_1} L cos(\phi) \dot {\phi} + L^2 \dot {\phi}^2 $$ Now given that $$ T = \frac {1} {2} m_1 \vec {v_1}^2 + \frac {1} {2} m_2 \vec {v_2}^2 $$ I arrive at the expression for kinetic energy I mentioned in the original post.

Last edited:
That does indeed look OK for the kinematics, so I think you are safe there

You complained that it was going to be difficult to solve the coupled system (and so it is), but it remains difficult (not impossible) to solve the system if you fix the value of x1. The large amplitude pendulum requires elliptic integrals for the solution, and that is not trivial at all. When you compound the difficulty by adding another degree of freedom, we can hardly expect the solution to get simpler.

Likes Decimal
Thanks a lot for the help! However it turns out I missed a bit of information about the problem. I was supposed to derive the equations that I found and then apply a first order approximation on the angles, which does simplify them quite a bit.

Thanks for the effort though!

To be sure, that is a major simplification! Glad you noticed that bit!

1. What is the Lagrangian for a pendulum with a moving support?

The Lagrangian for a pendulum with a moving support is a mathematical expression that represents the total energy of the system, including both kinetic and potential energy. It takes into account the motion of the pendulum as well as the motion of the support.

2. How is the Lagrangian derived for a pendulum with a moving support?

The Lagrangian for a pendulum with a moving support is derived using Lagrange's equations, which are a set of equations that describe the motion of a system based on its energy. The equations take into account the position, velocity, and potential of each individual component of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian for a pendulum with a moving support?

The use of the Lagrangian for a pendulum with a moving support allows for a more simplified and elegant description of the system's dynamics. It also allows for the incorporation of constraints, such as the length of the pendulum, in a more straightforward manner.

4. Can the Lagrangian be used to solve for the motion of a pendulum with a moving support?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be used to solve for the motion of a pendulum with a moving support. By setting up and solving the Lagrange's equations, one can obtain the equations of motion for the pendulum and the support. These equations can then be used to determine the position and velocity of each component at any given time.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian for a pendulum with a moving support?

The Lagrangian for a pendulum with a moving support assumes that the pendulum and support are both idealized and do not experience any external forces, such as friction or air resistance. In reality, these forces may have a significant impact on the motion of the system and must be accounted for in the analysis.