Lagrangian Mechanics Question: A Yoyo radius a and b

In summary, the conversation discusses the generalised coordinates and Lagrangian equation of motion for a falling yoyo with inner radius a, outer radius b, and inertia I. The equation L=T-U is used, with T representing kinetic energy and U representing potential energy. The kinetic energy is divided into two parts: downwards and rotational. The potential energy is represented by mgy. The Lagrangian is then calculated as L=1/2 m Y(dot)^2 + 1/2 I (Theta)(dot)^2 - mgy, with general coordinates theta and Y. Further questions are posed about the direction of y, any constraints, the zero of potential energy, and the equation of motion.
BiGubbs

Homework Statement

A yoyo falls straight down unwinding as it goes, assume has inner radius a, outer radius b and Inertia I. What is the generalised coordinates and the lagrangian equation of motion?

Homework Equations

L=T-U where T is kinetic energy and U is potential

The Attempt at a Solution

So i assumed that there are 2 parts of kinetic energy, downwards and rotational, the downwards:

1/2 m Y(dot)^2

and rotational

1/2 I (Theta)(dot)^2 .

Potential is simply: mgy

This gives a lagrangian of L= 1/2 m Y(dot)^2 + 1/2 I (Theta)(dot)^2 - mgy
with general co-ords theta and Y, is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
So far so good.
In which direction is your generalized coordinate y increasing? Are there any constraints to be imposed? Where is your zero of potential energy? Where is your equation of motion?

1. What is Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical framework used to analyze the motion of systems in physics. It was developed by Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the late 18th century and is based on the principle of least action.

2. How is Lagrangian mechanics different from Newtonian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a more general and elegant approach to analyzing the motion of systems compared to Newtonian mechanics. It uses variational principles and considers all possible paths that a system can take, rather than just the path the system actually takes. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the system's behavior.

3. What is the significance of the yoyo radius in Lagrangian mechanics?

The yoyo radius, represented by a and b, is an important parameter in Lagrangian mechanics because it affects the motion and stability of a yoyo. It is used to calculate the kinetic and potential energy of the yoyo and can also be used to determine the equations of motion for the system.

4. How is Lagrangian mechanics applied in real-world situations?

Lagrangian mechanics has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to analyze the motion of particles, rigid bodies, and fluids, as well as systems with multiple degrees of freedom. Some examples of real-world applications include studying the motion of celestial bodies, analyzing the behavior of mechanical systems, and modeling fluid dynamics.

5. What are the limitations of Lagrangian mechanics?

While Lagrangian mechanics has many advantages over Newtonian mechanics, it also has some limitations. It is not as intuitive as Newtonian mechanics and can be more difficult to apply to complex systems. It also requires knowledge of advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus and differential equations, making it less accessible to those without a strong mathematical background.