Lagrangian of a double pendulum system (with a spring)

In summary: I will start the summary now.In summary, the Lagrangian for the double pendulum system with a massless, frictionless, and non-extendable wire of length l attaching m_1 and m_2 attached through a massless spring of constant k and length r, where the spring may only stretch in the m_1-m_2 direction and its unstretched length is l_0, can be represented as L = {1/2 m_1 (l^2θ̇^2) - m_1glcosθ} + {1/2 m_2 (l^2θ̇^2 + r^2φ̇^2 + 2lrθ̇φ̇
Je m'appelle

Homework Statement

Find the Lagrangian for the double pendulum system given below, where the length of the massless, frictionless and non-extendable wire attaching [itex]m_1[/itex] is [itex]l[/itex]. [itex]m_2[/itex] is attached to [itex]m_1[/itex] through a massless spring of constant [itex]k[/itex] and length [itex]r[/itex]. The spring may only stretch in the [itex]m_1[/itex]-[itex]m_2[/itex] direction and its unstretched length is [itex]l_0[/itex]. [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] are the angles of [itex]m_1[/itex] and [itex]m_2[/itex] with respect to the red [itex]y[/itex]-axis.

double_pendulum_with_spring.png

Homework Equations

Lagrangian:
[tex]L = T - U[/tex]

Kinetic Energy of i-th mass:

[tex]T_i = \frac{1}{2}m_i \left(\dot{x}_i^2 + \dot{y}_i^2 \right) [/tex]

Potential Energy of i-th mass:
[tex]U_i = m_i g y_i [/tex]

Potential Energy of the spring:
[tex]U_{spr} = \frac{1}{2}kr^2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since I'm still learning this topic, I need someone to help me by verifying if my work is correct, as there's no solutions manual.

[tex]L = T - U = \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_1 \left(\dot{x}_1^2 + \dot{y}_1^2 \right) - m_1gy_1 \right \} + \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_2 \left(\dot{x}_2^2 + \dot{y}_2^2 \right) - m_2gy_2 \right \} - \frac{1}{2}k r^2 [/tex]

I'm considering [itex]\left(r, \theta, \phi \right)[/itex] as my generalized coordinates

[tex]\left\{\begin{matrix}
x_1& =& l \sin \theta &\\
x_2& =& l \sin \theta + r \sin \phi &\\
y_1 &=& l \cos \theta &\\
y_2 &=& l \cos \theta + r \cos \phi&
\end{matrix}\right.[/tex]

Plugging those in the original lagrangian yields

[tex]\begin{align*} L = \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_1 \left(l^2\dot{\theta}^2 \cos^2 \theta + l^2\dot{\theta}^2 \sin^2 \theta \right) - m_1gl \cos \theta \right \}\\
+ \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_2 \left(l^2\dot{\theta}^2 \cos^2 \theta + r^2\dot{\phi}^2 \cos^2 \phi + 2lr \dot{\theta} \dot{\phi} \cos \theta \cos \phi + l^2 \dot{\theta}^2 \sin^2 \theta + r^2 \dot{\phi}^2 \sin^2 \phi + 2lr \dot{\theta} \dot{\phi} \sin \theta \sin \phi \right)\\
- m_2g \left( l \cos \theta + r \cos \theta \right) \right \} - \frac{1}{2}k r^2 \end{align*}[/tex]

which summarizes to

[tex]L = \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_1 \left(l^2\dot{\theta}^2 \right) - m_1gl \cos \theta \right \} + \left \{ \frac{1}{2}m_2 \left(l^2\dot{\theta}^2 + r^2\dot{\phi}^2 + 2lr \dot{\theta} \dot{\phi} \cos \left(\theta-\phi \right)\right) - m_2g \left( l \cos \theta + r \cos \phi\right) \right \} - \frac{1}{2}k r^2 [/tex]

Is this correct? Something tells me it isn't, is there another way of representing [itex]r[/itex]? Also, I haven't used [itex]l_0[/itex] which was given in the problem statement, and I feel like it should be there in the lagrangian somewhere.

Attachments

• double_pendulum_with_spring.png
    double_pendulum_with_spring.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 828
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Je m'appelle said:
... through a massless spring of constant k and length r.
Je m'appelle said:
... and its unstretched length is ##l_0.##
What is the difference between ##l_0## and ##r##? I would assume that ##r## is the stretched or compressed length of the spring in which case the elastic potential energy should be ... ?

Sorry, the comment above answers your question.

Last edited:

1. What is the Lagrangian of a double pendulum system?

The Lagrangian of a double pendulum system is a mathematical function that describes the system's energy and motion. It is derived from the kinetic and potential energies of the system and is used to find the equations of motion for the system.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a double pendulum system calculated?

The Lagrangian of a double pendulum system is calculated by taking the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of the system. It can also be calculated using the Lagrangian equation, which involves finding the partial derivatives of the system's kinetic and potential energies with respect to time and position variables.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in a double pendulum system?

The Lagrangian is significant because it allows us to analyze the dynamics of a double pendulum system and predict its motion. It also simplifies the equations of motion, making it easier to solve and understand the system's behavior.

4. How does the presence of a spring affect the Lagrangian of a double pendulum system?

The presence of a spring introduces an additional potential energy term in the Lagrangian of a double pendulum system. This term represents the elastic potential energy stored in the spring and affects the system's equations of motion, making them more complex.

5. Can the Lagrangian of a double pendulum system be used to model real-world scenarios?

Yes, the Lagrangian of a double pendulum system can be used to model real-world scenarios, such as a swinging pendulum or a swinging bridge. It can also be extended to more complex systems, making it a powerful tool in various fields of science and engineering.