Lagrangian of a pendulum system

In summary: In the special case of θ = 0, the gravitational PE of the second mass should certainly depend on the variable X. But in the Lagrangian in post #1, this is not so.
raggle

Homework Statement

A long light inflexible rod is free to rotate in a vertical plane about a fixed point O. A particle of mass m
is fixed to the rod at a point P a distance ℓ from O. A second particle of mass m is free to move along the rod, and is attracted to the point O by an elastic force of strength k.

Find any equilibrium points. (You may assume the rod is sufficiently long that the moving particle does not reach either end of the rod).

Homework Equations

The potential due to the elastic force is ##V = kx^2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Let ##X## be the distance of the second particle from the origin O. Then the Lagrangian I got is
##L = \frac{1}{2}m[\dot{X}^2 + (X^2 +l^2)\dot{\theta}^2] - mg[X(1-cos\theta) +l(1-cos\theta)] - kX^2##
This gives the equations of motion for ##X(t)## and ##\theta (t)## as
##\ddot{X} = X(\dot{\theta}^2 - 2k) -g(1-cos\theta)##
##\ddot{\theta}(X^2+l^2) + 2\dot{X}\dot{\theta} = -gsin\theta(X + l)##.

Equilibrium points occur when the second derivatives are both zero, so I have to solve
##0 = X(\dot{\theta^2} - 2k) -g(1-cos\theta)##
##2\dot{X}\dot{\theta} = -gsin\theta(X + l)##
And now I'm lost. If I try to solve these I will end up with the fixed points ##X## and ##\theta## as functions of ##t##, which doesn't seem right to me.

Any help would be appreciated, maybe the Lagrangian I got is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
m has disappeared from the equations of motion

I would expect an equilibrium at ##\dot X =0,\ \dot\theta = 0,\ \theta = 0, X = {mg\over 2k}##, so there must be something with ##L##. And sure enough: for ##\theta=0## V doesn't depend on X !

Hi there, I am also struggling on this question? I get the same Lagrangian except the potential of the spring is 1/2*k*x^2. Can anyone explain why this L is wrong?

As BvU hinted: the gravitational potential energy of the second mass is not correctly set up in the Lagrangian. For the special case where θ = 0, the gravitational PE of the second mass should certainly depend on the variable X. But in the Lagrangian in post #1, this is not so.

You need to be careful about where you are defining zero gravitational PE for the two masses.

1. What is the Lagrangian of a pendulum system?

The Lagrangian of a pendulum system is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of the system, specifically the motion of the pendulum. It is defined as the difference between the kinetic and potential energies of the system.

2. How is the Lagrangian of a pendulum system calculated?

The Lagrangian of a pendulum system can be calculated by first identifying the kinetic and potential energies of the system. The kinetic energy is determined by the mass, velocity, and direction of motion of the pendulum, while the potential energy is determined by its position and the force of gravity. The Lagrangian is then calculated as the difference between these two energies.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in a pendulum system?

The Lagrangian is significant in a pendulum system because it allows us to describe the motion of the system using a single mathematical function, rather than multiple equations. This makes it easier to analyze and predict the behavior of the pendulum.

4. Can the Lagrangian of a pendulum system be used to determine the stability of the system?

Yes, the Lagrangian of a pendulum system can be used to determine the stability of the system. The stability of the system can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the Lagrangian function, specifically its critical points and their corresponding eigenvalues.

5. How is the Lagrangian of a pendulum system related to the Hamiltonian?

The Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are two different mathematical approaches to describing the dynamics of a system. While the Lagrangian is defined as the difference between kinetic and potential energies, the Hamiltonian is defined as the sum of kinetic and potential energies. However, in certain systems, the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian are equivalent and can be used interchangeably to describe the dynamics of the system.