Lagrangian of two masses connected by a spring in semicircle

In summary: Just use the right triangle I suggested. You should be able to express the distance between the masses in terms of the triangle sides without using any square roots. Then square that expression and use it in your Lagrangian.In summary, the conversation is about deriving the equations of motion for two masses connected by a weightless spring in a friction-less semicircular well. The participants discuss the Lagrangian, potential energy, and the use of Cartesian coordinates. They also offer advice on how to avoid using square roots and suggest using a right triangle to express the distance between the masses.
Klas

Homework Statement

Two masses are connected by a weightless spring in a friction-less semicircular well (Picture included). Derive the equations of motion with help of lagrange
0SNri.png

Homework Equations

L = T - U = kinetic energy - potential energy

The Attempt at a Solution

##L = \frac{1}{2}m_1(\dot{x_1}^2 + \dot{y_1}^2) + \frac{1}{2}m_2(\dot{x_2}^2 + \dot{y_2}^2) - (m_1gx_1 + m_2gx_2 + \frac{1}{2}k(\sqrt{x^2-y^2} -l_0)^2)##

Where:
##x_1 = R\cos\theta_1, \;\;x_2 = R\cos(\theta_1+\theta_2) \\y_1 = R\sin\theta_1, \;\;y_2 = R\sin(\theta_1+\theta_2)##
##x=x_2-x_1##
##y=y_2-y_1##

I think I'm going to be able to get the equation of motion from here if only L is right...
And if it's correct it feels like the EOM will be a pain in the ass from here but it feels like I'm missing something rather essential here?

I'll be thankful for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your gravitational potential energy is of the form "mgy" yet your y seems to point down in your definition.

I guess you mean it should rather be ##mgRcos(\theta)##. I'm have put potential zero at the bottom so at ##mgRcos0## it should be the max potential energy.

Did an edit on the original post

No I meant that your gravitational potential terms should be of the form -mgy instead of mgy since you have y increasing downwards in your definition.

I see what you mean. If I rewrite it as ##L = \frac{1}{2}m_1(\dot{x_1}^2 + \dot{y_1}^2) + \frac{1}{2}m_2(\dot{x_2}^2 + \dot{y_2}^2) - (-m_1gy_1 - m_2gy_2 + \frac{1}{2}k(\sqrt{x^2-y^2} -l_0)^2)##
should it be correct then?

And if, when I rewrite it with ##\theta_1, \theta_2## this part is going to be hard to partial derivative with respect to ##\theta1, \theta2## ## (\sqrt{x^2-y^2} -l_0)^2) = (\sqrt{(Rcos(\theta_1+ \theta_2)-Rcos(\theta_1))^2+(Rsin(\theta_1+\theta_2)+Rsin(\theta_2))^2)}-l_0)^2##

Last edited:
You still have x's in your potential energy. You should put the y's back in. Just make sure to keep the negatives. The rest of the Lagrangian looks good to me.

Fixed it. Any tips on how to deal with ## (\sqrt{x^2-y^2} -l_0)^2) = (\sqrt{(Rcos(\theta_1+ \theta_2)-Rcos(\theta_1))^2+(Rsin(\theta_1+\theta_2)+Rsin(\theta_2))^2)}-l_0)^2## when I'm going to partial derivative it later?

Thank you for all your help!

Express ##T## and ##U## in terms of ##\theta_1## and ##\theta_2## and their time derivatives. For the distance between the masses, consider the right triangle shown below where one leg of the triangle bisects ##\theta_2##.

Attachments

• triangle.png
    triangle.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 482
##L = \frac{1}{2}m_1R^2\dot{\theta_1}^2 + \frac{1}{2}m_2R^2(\dot{\theta_1} + \dot{\theta_2})^2 + m_1gRcos\theta_1 + m_2gRcos(\theta_1 + \theta_2) -(\sqrt{(Rcos(\theta_1+ \theta_2)-Rcos(\theta_1))^2+(Rsin(\theta_1+\theta_2)+Rsin(\theta_2))^2)}-l_0)^2##
Is what I get. Since:
##\dot{x_1}^2 + \dot{y_1}^2 = (-R\dot{\theta_1}sin\theta_1)^2 + (R\dot{\theta_1}cos\theta_1)^2 = R^2\dot{\theta_1}^2(cos^2\theta_1 + sin^2\theta_2) = R^2\dot{\theta_1}^2*1##.

TSny. I'm still unsure what to do with that.. For the partial derivative when coming to the sqrt.. Is there anything I'm missing to make my life easier with that part or is it just time to get my hands dirty?

You should be able to avoid the square root. Don't use Cartesian coordinates at all.

1. What is the Lagrangian of two masses connected by a spring in semicircle?

The Lagrangian, denoted as L, is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system. In the case of two masses connected by a spring in semicircle, the Lagrangian can be written as L = T - V, where T represents the kinetic energy of the system and V represents the potential energy. It takes into account the masses, velocities, and positions of the two masses as well as the stiffness of the spring.

2. How is the Lagrangian used to describe the motion of the system?

The Lagrangian is used to derive the equations of motion for the system, known as the Lagrange's equations. These equations take into account the forces acting on the masses and the constraints of the system, and can be solved to determine the position and velocity of the masses as a function of time.

3. What is the significance of the spring being in a semicircle?

The semicircular shape of the spring introduces a non-linear component to the system, making it more complex to analyze. It also allows for the masses to move in a circular path, which can lead to interesting and unique behaviors.

4. How does the stiffness of the spring affect the Lagrangian?

The stiffness of the spring, represented by the spring constant, affects the potential energy term in the Lagrangian. A higher stiffness results in a higher potential energy and a lower stiffness results in a lower potential energy. This can impact the overall dynamics of the system, such as the oscillation frequency and amplitude.

5. Can the Lagrangian of this system be extended to include other factors?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be extended to include other factors such as external forces, damping, and non-conservative forces. This can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the system's dynamics and allow for more accurate predictions of its behavior.