Lagrangian with one constraint

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of constrained Lagrangians in polar coordinates, where the Lagrangian is written as Lc = L(ψ, r, r') - λ(r - r(ψ)) to constrain the motion of an object to a polar curve r = r(ψ). The question arises about the parameter "a" becoming a function of r under the imposed constraint, and the dilemma of whether to solve the Euler-Lagrange equation with a(r) or without it.
Sunfire
Hello,

I have the functional

J = ∫ L(ψ, r, r') dψ, where r'=dr/dψ. L is written in polar coordinates (r,ψ).

Now I want to constrain the motion to take place on the polar curve r = r(ψ). Can I write the constrained lagrangian as

Lc=L(ψ, r, r') - λ(r - r(ψ)) and then solve the Euler-Lagrange equation

Does this make sense?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably call the curve something else, like ##\rho(\psi)##. But yes, you should be able to do that, the extra ##\lambda(r - \rho)## term will give you a generalized force constraining the object to the curve.

CompuChip said:
... yes, you should be able to do that, ...

Thanks CompuChip...
Along these lines - say, the Lagrangian is, as agreed, Lc = L(a, ψ, r, r') - λ(r - f(ψ))
where r=f(ψ) is the constraint and "a" is a parameter.

The question is - I know that when imposing the constraint, it so happens that a = a(r). I mean, "a" becomes a function of r under the imposed constraint.

This is a challenge... Do I write

Lc = L(a(r), ψ, r, r') - λ(r - f(ψ)) and then solve the Euler-Largange eq.; or do I solve the E-L eq. and not worry about a(r)? It's a puzzle. Would you or someone know?

Last edited:

Related to Lagrangian with one constraint

1. What is a Lagrangian with one constraint?

A Lagrangian with one constraint is a mathematical approach used to solve optimization problems with one constraint. It involves finding the minimum or maximum value of a function subject to a single constraint.

2. How is a Lagrangian with one constraint different from a Lagrange multiplier?

A Lagrangian with one constraint is a specific case of using the Lagrange multiplier method to solve optimization problems. In this case, there is only one constraint, whereas the Lagrange multiplier method can be used for problems with multiple constraints.

3. What is the purpose of using a Lagrangian with one constraint?

The purpose of using a Lagrangian with one constraint is to simplify the process of finding the optimal solution to an optimization problem. By using the Lagrange multiplier method, the problem can be reduced to a set of equations that can be easily solved.

4. What is the formula for a Lagrangian with one constraint?

The formula for a Lagrangian with one constraint is L(x, λ) = f(x) + λg(x), where x is the variable being optimized, λ is the Lagrange multiplier, f(x) is the objective function, and g(x) is the constraint function.

5. What are some real-world applications of using a Lagrangian with one constraint?

A Lagrangian with one constraint can be applied in various fields, such as economics, engineering, and physics. It can be used to optimize production processes, minimize costs, and find the most efficient use of resources. In physics, it can be used to determine the path of a particle subject to a constraint, such as a fixed endpoint or a constant energy level.