Landau Theory - Order parameter- Extensive or intensive?

The order parameter ##\phi(x)## is not dependent on the size of the system, but rather on its state at a specific point. On the other hand, the magnetization ##M## is extensive, as it changes with the size of the system.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

[/B]
1) Is the order paramter ##\phi(x)## intensive or extensive?
2) Is ##M## intensive or extensive?

With the following definitions :

defssssssss.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Free energy is extensive, however I don' think I can use this to deduce whether ##\phi(x)## is intensive or extensive via (1) since it will depend on the exact form of ##W(\phi)##

Some texts say it's intensive and others extensive.

For example :

text2.png
text1.png

2) I believe ##H## the external field is intensive; and so since ##M## is it's conjugate variable via ##M=\frac{\partial A}{\partial H}## , ##M## must be extensive?

Any help much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Say you have a block of material and you measure the magnetization to have a certain magnitude. Now you cut up the block into n equal pieces. Does the magnetization of each piece equal the magnetization of the whole block divided by n? If so it is extensive. Does the magnetization of each piece equal the magnetization of the whole block? If so it is intensive. Ask yourself the same questions by imagining that you could measure the order parameter.

binbagsss said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
1) Is the order paramter ##\phi(x)## intensive or extensive?
2) Is ##M## intensive or extensive?

With the following definitions :

View attachment 204112

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Free energy is extensive, however I don' think I can use this to deduce whether ##\phi(x)## is intensive or extensive via (1) since it will depend on the exact form of ##W(\phi)##

Some texts say it's intensive and others extensive.

For example :

View attachment 204111 View attachment 204110

2) I believe ##H## the external field is intensive; and so since ##M## is it's conjugate variable via ##M=\frac{\partial A}{\partial H}## , ##M## must be extensive?

Any help much appreciated.
Fred Wright said:
Say you have a block of material and you measure the magnetization to have a certain magnitude. Now you cut up the block into n equal pieces. Does the magnetization of each piece equal the magnetization of the whole block divided by n? If so it is extensive. Does the magnetization of each piece equal the magnetization of the whole block? If so it is intensive. Ask yourself the same questions by imagining that you could measure the order parameter.

intensive.

1. What is Landau Theory?

Landau Theory is a theory in condensed matter physics that describes the behavior of a material undergoing a phase transition, such as melting or magnetization. It is based on the concept of an order parameter, which is a measurable quantity that changes abruptly at the transition point.

2. What is an order parameter?

An order parameter is a measurable property of a material that changes abruptly at the transition point of a phase transition. It represents the degree of order or symmetry in the system and is used to classify different phases of matter.

3. Is Landau Theory applicable to all phase transitions?

No, Landau Theory is only applicable to phase transitions that occur at a second order critical point. This means that the transition is continuous and there is no latent heat involved.

4. Is the order parameter an extensive or intensive quantity?

The order parameter can be either extensive or intensive, depending on the system and the type of phase transition. In some cases, the order parameter is proportional to the size of the system (extensive), while in others, it is independent of the system size (intensive).

5. How does Landau Theory explain the behavior of materials near a phase transition?

Landau Theory uses a mathematical model to describe the behavior of the order parameter near a phase transition. It predicts that the order parameter will vary smoothly and continuously as a function of temperature or other external parameters, with a power law dependence near the critical point.