Finding B-field from Zeeman effect pattern

Then use the given equation to solve for B.In summary, the problem involves calculating the magnetic field for a source emitting a line at 500nm, using the normal Zeeman effect and given distance between adjacent components in the Zeeman pattern. The equation ΔE = μbBgmj can be used to solve for B, by writing ΔE in terms of Δλ and λ of the source.
maximus123
Hey

I have this problem

Homework Statement

A source which emits a line at 500nm is found to exhibit the normal Zeeman effect
when placed in a magnetic field. Calculate the magnetic field given that the separation
of adjacent components in the Zeeman pattern is 12.0pm.

Homework Equations

I have this equation from my textbook

ΔE = μbBgmj

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that I need to use the fact given about the distance of the components in the pattern to find ΔE and then rearrange for B, but I am not sure how to do that.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that E = hf and f = c/λ. See if you can write ΔE in terms of Δλ and λ of the source.

1. How does the Zeeman effect pattern help in finding the B-field?

The Zeeman effect pattern is a phenomenon where a spectral line splits into multiple lines in the presence of a magnetic field. By analyzing the splitting of the lines, scientists can determine the strength of the magnetic field, also known as the B-field.

2. What causes the Zeeman effect pattern?

The Zeeman effect pattern is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrons in the atoms of the material being observed. This interaction causes the energy levels of the electrons to split, resulting in the splitting of the spectral lines.

3. Can the Zeeman effect pattern be observed in all materials?

Yes, the Zeeman effect pattern can be observed in all materials that have spectral lines, including gases, liquids, and solids. However, the intensity and number of lines in the pattern may vary depending on the material and the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How accurate is the B-field measurement obtained from the Zeeman effect pattern?

The B-field measurement obtained from the Zeeman effect pattern is usually very accurate, with an error margin of only a few percent. However, the accuracy may be affected by factors such as the resolution of the spectrograph used and the homogeneity of the magnetic field.

5. Can the Zeeman effect pattern be used to determine the direction of the magnetic field?

No, the Zeeman effect pattern cannot determine the direction of the magnetic field. It only provides information about the strength of the magnetic field. To determine the direction, other techniques such as the Faraday effect or Hall effect can be used.