Laplace expansion of the inner product (Geometric Algebra)

In summary, the Laplace expansion of the inner product is a mathematical technique that calculates the inner product of two multivectors by expanding them into their components and then multiplying and adding them together. It differs from traditional inner product calculations by taking into account the geometric properties of the multivectors, allowing for a more intuitive and elegant result. This method has various practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics, but it may become less practical for higher-dimensional calculations and may not always provide the most efficient solution.
NoPhysicsGenius

Homework Statement

Prove that ##\vec {a} \cdot (\vec {b} \wedge \vec {C_r}) = \vec {a} \cdot \vec {b} \vec {C_r} - \vec {b} \wedge (\vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r})##.

Note that ##\vec {a}## is a vector, ##\vec {b}## is a vector, and ##\vec {C_r}## is an r-blade with ##r > 0##.

Also, the dot denotes the inner product, the wedge denotes the outer product, and no operator between vectors (or blades) denotes the geometric product.

Finally, the identity to be proven can be called the "Laplace expansion of the inner product".

Homework Equations

Equation (1a): ##\vec {a} \cdot \vec {b} = \frac {1}{2} (\vec {a} \vec {b} + \vec {b} \vec {a}) ##
## \Rightarrow ##
Equation (1b): ##\vec {a} \vec {b} = - \vec {b} \vec {a} + 2 \vec {a} \cdot \vec {b}##

Equation (2): ##\vec {a} \cdot \vec {A_r} = \frac {1}{2} (\vec {a} \vec {A_r} - (-1)^r \vec {A_r} \vec {a}) ##

Equation (3): ##\vec {b} \vec {C_r} = \vec {b} \cdot \vec {C_r} + \vec {b} \wedge \vec {C_r} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

By Equation (1a), we have ##\vec {a} \vec {b} \vec {C_r} = (- \vec {b} \vec {a} + 2 \vec {a} \cdot \vec {b}) \vec {C_r} = - \vec {b} \vec {a} \vec {C_r} + 2 \vec {a} \cdot \vec {b} \vec {C_r}##

Note that Equation (2) implies ##2 \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} = \vec {a} \vec {C_r} - (-1)^r \vec {C_r} \vec {a} \Rightarrow \vec {a} \vec {C_r} = (-1)^r \vec {C_r} \vec {a} + 2 \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} ##

Therefore, ##\vec {a} \vec {b} \vec {C_r} = - \vec {b} [(-1)^r \vec {C_r} \vec {a} + 2 \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r}] + 2 \vec {a} \cdot \vec {b} \vec {C_r} ##
##\Rightarrow \frac {1}{2} \vec {a} \vec {b} \vec {C_r} = - \frac {1}{2} \vec {b} [(-1)^r \vec {C_r} \vec {a} + 2 \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r}] + \vec {a} \cdot \vec {b} \vec {C_r} ##
##\Rightarrow \vec {a} \cdot \vec {b} \vec {C_r} - \vec {b} \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} = \frac {1}{2} [\vec {a} (\vec {b} \vec {C_r}) - (-1)^r (\vec {b} \vec {C_r}) \vec {a}] ##

Using the reverse of Equation (2), we get ##\vec {a} \cdot \vec {b} \vec {C_r} - \vec {b} \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} = \vec {a} \cdot (\vec {b} \vec {C_r}) ##

Applying Equation (3), we have ##\vec {a} \cdot \vec {b} \vec {C_r} - \vec {b} \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} = \vec {a} \cdot (\vec {b} \cdot \vec {C_r} + \vec {b} \wedge \vec {C_r}) = ##
##\vec {a} \cdot (\vec {b} \cdot \vec {C_r}) + \vec {a} \cdot (\vec {b} \wedge \vec {C_r})##

##\Rightarrow \vec {a} \cdot (\vec {b} \wedge \vec {C_r}) = \vec {a} \cdot \vec {b} \vec {C_r} - \vec {b} \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} - \vec {a} \cdot (\vec {b} \cdot \vec {C_r}) ##

This is where I got stuck. Somehow, the r-vector part of this last equation gives the desired identity; but I don't know how...

Physics news on Phys.org
With equation (3) you directly get, that the statement is equivalent to ##\vec{a}\cdot (\vec{b}\cdot \vec{C_r})=\vec{b}\wedge (\vec{a}\cdot\vec{C_r})\,##?

fresh_42 said:
With equation (3) you directly get, that the statement is equivalent to ##\vec{a}\cdot (\vec{b}\cdot \vec{C_r})=\vec{b}\wedge (\vec{a}\cdot\vec{C_r})\,##?

I am confused. To finish my proof, I must show that ##- \vec {b} \wedge ( \vec {a} \cdot \vec{C_r} ) = - \vec {b} \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} - \vec {a} \cdot ( \vec {b} \cdot \vec {C_r} ) ##
##\Rightarrow \vec {b} \wedge ( \vec {a} \cdot \vec{C_r} ) = \vec {b} \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} + \vec {a} \cdot ( \vec {b} \cdot \vec {C_r} ) ##.

Does ##\vec {b} \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} ## equal zero?

NoPhysicsGenius said:
I am confused. To finish my proof, I must show that ##- \vec {b} \wedge ( \vec {a} \cdot \vec{C_r} ) = - \vec {b} \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} - \vec {a} \cdot ( \vec {b} \cdot \vec {C_r} ) ##
##\Rightarrow \vec {b} \wedge ( \vec {a} \cdot \vec{C_r} ) = \vec {b} \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} + \vec {a} \cdot ( \vec {b} \cdot \vec {C_r} ) ##.

Does ##\vec {b} \vec {a} \cdot \vec {C_r} ## equal zero?
I don't know. I simply used your equation (3) to get rid of the geometric product in your assertion and ended up with one which is likely wrong. The only other thing I used was distributivity of the dot product.

1. What is the Laplace expansion of the inner product?

The Laplace expansion of the inner product is a mathematical technique used in Geometric Algebra to calculate the inner product of two multivectors. It involves expanding the two multivectors into their individual components and then multiplying and adding them together according to specific rules.

2. How is the Laplace expansion of the inner product different from traditional inner product calculations?

The Laplace expansion of the inner product differs from traditional inner product calculations in that it takes into account the geometric properties of the multivectors being multiplied. This allows for a more intuitive and geometrically meaningful result.

3. What are the benefits of using the Laplace expansion of the inner product?

One of the main benefits of using the Laplace expansion of the inner product is that it can handle higher-dimensional geometric objects, such as rotations and translations, more easily than traditional inner product calculations. It also allows for a more elegant and efficient approach to solving complex geometric problems.

4. How is the Laplace expansion of the inner product used in practical applications?

The Laplace expansion of the inner product has various practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, and physics. It is used to calculate rotations, translations, and other geometric transformations, as well as to solve problems related to geometry and mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Laplace expansion of the inner product?

Like any mathematical technique, the Laplace expansion of the inner product has its limitations. It is most effective when dealing with multivectors of lower dimensions and may become more complex and less practical for higher-dimensional calculations. Additionally, it may not always provide the most efficient solution for certain problems, and alternative methods may be more suitable in those cases.